Chapter 2 : Shadows of The Night

The sun had dipped below the horizon, casting a deep, dusky glow over the city of Tampere. Anna lay in bed, the remnants of her nightmare still clinging to her like a cold mist.

Her thoughts churned in a relentless loop: James, his words, the mysterious boy in her dream, and the gnawing fear of her illness. Sleep had eluded her, and as she stared at the ceiling, she wondered if the flashes in her mind were just the product of anxiety, or something more sinister.

When morning finally came, it brought with it a sense of weariness that seemed to seep into her bones. But there was also a faint glimmer of hope.

Today was a new day, and for the first time in a long while, Anna had someone she could call a friend. Emily. The thought of having someone to talk to, someone who knew her name and wanted to be in her life, made the weight of her illness feel a little less heavy.

As she arrived at the tuition center, she noticed the usual buzz of activity among the students. Groups of friends huddled together, chatting and laughing, their voices a symphony of youthful energy. Anna felt out of place, like a lone note in a grand composition. But she took a deep breath and reminded herself that she wasn’t completely alone.

Emily was waiting for her near the entrance, a bright smile on her face.

“Hey, Anna! Ready for another day of knowledge overload?” she teased, linking arms with her.

Anna smiled back, feeling a bit of warmth in her chest. “As ready as I’ll ever be,” she replied, her tone light, though her mind was still clouded with thoughts of James.

“By the way,” Emily continued as they walked towards their classroom, “I saw James earlier. He was asking about you.”

Anna’s heart skipped a beat, though she wasn’t sure if it was out of fear or something else entirely.

“What did he say?”“Not much,” Emily shrugged. “Just wondered if you were okay. He seemed… concerned.”

Concerned...!?

Anna couldn’t fathom why someone like James, who barely knew her, would be concerned about her well-being. They’d only had a few brief interactions, yet he’d left a mark on her mind that was hard to ignore. There was something about him that made her uneasy, yet intrigued at the same time.

As they entered the classroom, Anna’s eyes instinctively searched for James, but he was nowhere to be seen.

David, however, was there, sitting in his usual spot. He glanced up as Anna walked by, his expression neutral, though she thought she saw a flicker of something—perhaps curiosity—in his eyes.

The class proceeded as usual, the teacher droning on about the complexities of human psychology. But Anna found it hard to focus. Her mind kept drifting to James, to the way he’d looked at her, the way he’d spoken. And then there was that nightmare—the boy with the ominous warning.

It all felt too strange to be a coincidence.When the class finally ended, Anna gathered her things and made her way to the parking lot, where her father, Frank, was waiting for her. He greeted her with his usual warm smile, but Anna could tell there was something on his mind.

“Hey, sweetheart,” Frank said as she got into the car. “How was your day?”

“It was fine,” Anna replied, though she knew her tone was far from convincing. Frank glanced at her, concern etched in his features.

“You sure? You seem a bit distracted.”Anna hesitated, debating whether or not to tell her father about James and the strange feelings she’d been having.