north bound i got carried away, as you boarded your train south

A feather taken by the wind blowingI'm afflicted by the not knowing

I'm afflicted by the not knowing

*:・゚✧*:・゚

Most people would think death is seven minutes of your life flashed in front of your eyes. Some say you're in heaven, or possibly hell. But what if death was just equivalent to heartbreak. What if it was the mere fact there wasn't enough warmth to keep the blood running through the veins to the heart, causing it to stop.

It was like he died the tiniest death.

It had been three entire months. The summer flew by and it was time for Kenan's pre-season and Chiara's third year at university. Her birthday passed on August 15th and he never called. Chiara remembered she entered it in his calendar one night, when they were just merely talking in bed. She didn't know that he sat at the phone for two hours, his finger hovering over the button.

Kenan had opened her contact, looking at the call symbol. She would be 20. He wondered if she was celebrating, who she was with, if she was with another guy, if she was alone. He wouldn't know. He wouldn't know because he never called. He sat in the bathroom, crying, wishing he was strong enough to stay.

Chiara ended up going out with a group of her friends, like Sofia and ones from University. Her birthday wish was no different than the one she made back in Rome.

Kenan had to be back in Italy in a week, but he decided to go down earlier. He hadn't been to his place there since he left for that trip to Turkey. The last time he was there, he picked up Chiara and they had headed to the airport together. He didn't want to be faced with those memories. It paused a moment in time.

"Make sure you don't act out again, and make sure you aren't acting like you have mental problems," his mother said.

Kenan blinked a few times trying to register what she said, "What?"

"I said, you will call me for anything, right?" his mother asked as Kenan was carrying his suitcases back down. "I love you."

Kenan nodded confused at what he heard, "Yes, love you too." He knew he was imagining she would say that, and what if that is really how she felt. Part of the reason he was leaving for Italy earlier was because he should've felt like he was his mother's child, one that should've never grown up. But instead, it was the opposite. He grew up too fast and life couldn't keep up.

Kenan arrived at the train station. He didn't want to deal with an airport and risk being seen by more people. The train was a little more discreet. He looked out the window and put on his headphones. It was a perfect moment for him to reflect, just himself. But the reflection led to overthinking. He started wishing he stayed with Chiara. He wished he was strong enough.

The train was heading south, it would stop in Milan before he'd switch platforms to go to Turin. He remembers crossing through Milan on the way to Lake Como with Chiara. He wondered if she still wore the necklace he gave her. He wondered if she even thought of him twice. Even once.