𝓑𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓴𝓲𝓷𝓰 𝓽𝓱𝓮 𝓒𝓱𝓪𝓲𝓷𝓼

~ 𝕷𝖎𝖔𝖗𝖆 ~

"HEY, WHAT DO YOU THINK YOU'RE DOING WITH THE PRINCESS?!" A booming feminine voice rattles my bones.

Oh no. That would be Diane—she thinks I'm kidnapping Elizabeth.

"I'm not hurting her, I swear!" I shout back, hoping like hell she doesn't decide to squash me. "I'm with Sir Hawk! We were taking her into town for medical treatment!"

Diane narrows her eyes, the purple slits glinting dangerously as she looks me up and down, like a snake sizing up its prey.

"W-wait, please!" Elizabeth stirs weakly in my arms, her voice barely a whisper. "Lady Diane, she protected me from that other Holy Knight. I... I think we can trust her."

I nod vigorously. "Lady Diane, I swear I have no intention of harming the Princess or taking her anywhere without her consent. I didn't know Holy Knights had started targeting her," I say, glancing up at the towering woman.

Diane doesn't seem convinced. "Yeah, well, I don't believe you," she growls, though her voice softens slightly as she addresses Elizabeth. "But if you trust her, Princess, I guess I won't squash her. For now."

My whole body goes cold at the implied threat, the Serpent Sin dangling it over my head like it's nothing.

"Uh, thanks," I mutter nervously. "Call me Liora. But we should really get the Princess to a doctor before anything else, Lady Diane." In my head, I'm repeating a mantra: Please don't kill me, please don't kill me.

Elizabeth stirs again in my arms, her pale face turning toward Diane. "No... I want to go with you. Lady Diane, Sir Meliodas, and Sir Ban... I want to stay with all of you."

Hawk whimpers at my side. "You can't, Elizabeth... not like this," he says, his small voice full of concern.

Elizabeth continues, despite the obvious pain in her voice. "I made a promise... that I would never stop fighting to protect the kingdom and its people..."

Bruised ribs, maybe worse. That Holy Knight, Ruin, was a real piece of work.

Diane's eyes soften. "You can't, Elizabeth... not in your condition."

"Why not, Lady Diane?" Elizabeth asks, her words strained with every breath.

I jump in, trying to back Diane up. "It's Baste Prison. The guard's waiting for you guys—and now me, I guess. You won't be able to do much in your shape, Princess."

Diane catches my eye, subtly nodding in agreement, though she looks irritated that I interrupted her.

Elizabeth, however, is undeterred. "I know I don't have great power... I can't fight a Holy Knight or win in battle... but I've made up my mind to at least be there for Sir Meliodas and for all of you. I have to keep my promise."

Diane tilts her head slightly. "You're not going to cry?"

"No," Elizabeth replies, her voice calm but filled with determination. Damn, this girl has more guts than I gave her credit for.

"Alright, then," Diane sighs. "Looks like my backpack is the best option for you. But it'll be bumpy, and it could make your injuries worse. You sure about this?"

Elizabeth nods resolutely. "I am, Lady Diane."

"Well, Princess, how am I supposed to say no to you after a speech like that?" I grin, pretending to wipe away a fake tear.

As Hawk and Diane interrogate the shepherd, I zone out, my focus shifting to the journey ahead. We start making our way to Baste Prison, and I take the lead, knowing the ins and outs of the place.