Chapter 01

"Give me the fuckin' dog, talk to the girl!"

A small hic of a whine left Mary Puppins'mouth as Logan reached into Wade's lap and lifted her to his own, the men making quick eye contact before Logan nudged Wade encouragingly. There she sat, Vanessa Carlysle, a small smile on her face as she looked down at the plate in front of her, the half-eaten slice of supreme pizza slowly losing its heat. Wade stiffed a smile, his hands resting in his lap. Vanessa was blissfully unaware of his eyes flicking up and down her posture, then her face, and back to that smile. The smile he knew too well; from the first time they had met in the bar, to the times in between that he had whisked her away to moonlit dinners or cozy nights in their apartment, to the endless, passionate times they had shared under the covers and each other. The smile that Wade had risked his life for. The smile that Wade, just a few weeks before, had once again chased after in his mind. And yet, here she was, that smile sparkling just above her chin, and Wade's chest felt something.

The typical, fluttering butterflies she donned on him were absent, and instead a faint pain began to drip in his stomach, his throat tightening as he struggled to figure out what to say to her. Guilt. Intense guilt. She had done nothing wrong - it was Logan.

Three weeks earlier...

The sun poured in through the apartment windows, warming the space and warming the small ugly dog's belly as she laid on the carpet. Logan stood in the doorway, having just wished Althea a good afternoon and exchanging pleasantries, his eyes darting around the characterized apartment. Small decorations on the shelves and on corners of side tables became a guessing game as the man waited - trying to decipher which small objects belonged to the man he'd just saved this timeline with, and which belonged to his older roommate. He held the bottom of the flannel he was wearing, fidgeting with the seams, while listing the objects he was analyzing.

"Cat figurine... BMW matchbox car... pressed flowers... thirtieth birthday card, that one's gotta be his..."

His mumbling came to a halt as Wade came around the corner, his red suit draped over his arm. "Alright hot shot, room's all set." He motioned to the other, turning on his heels excitedly and bouncing towards the back bedroom door. Logan sighed, a small smile tugging at the corners of his lips as he watched Wade lean his head back, a relaxed grin crawling across his lips. "You get a fancy little futon, it's only luxury here," he purred, shooting a finger-gun in his direction before pushing the oak door of the room inward. Logan shuffled across the apartment, slowly taking in that this would be his new home, at least for a few months. It was cozy and classic, with small hints of Wade hidden in every corner of the house. He appeared more reserved in apartment presentation than his personality, which made Logan's smirk transpose into a small smile. Entering the master bedroom, Logan leaned on the doorframe, crossing his arms and huffing a sigh of mockery. "Oh, such a luxury to sleep two feet below your king-sized bed."

Wade raised a finger in his direction, wagging it as he retorted, "Well, the truth of the matter is, you have a place to sleep, one of my better pillows, and the softest duvet I own. So enjoy it." Before he left the subject alone, he added, "... and it's a queen, peanut, not a king."

He had a point, Logan thought, as the futon did look pretty comfortable. It was attached to the bottom of the wood frame of Wade's bed, providing a slide-out mattress and a fluffed orange blanket. Hearing the commotion of the new area, Dogpool skittered into the room between the Wolverine's legs, a small yip of satisfaction leaving her mouth as she flopped down in the center of the duvet.

"I guess you'll have a bunkmate," Wade laughed, turning to straighten out some items on his desk and draping his suit on his desk chair. Logan sat down on the corner of Wade's bed, taking in the room one sense at a time. It was incredibly tidy in here, something Logan didn't expect based on his experience so far with Wade. I mean, come on, compared to the condition of the Honda after their first night? This was impressive. It smelled like fresh cedar and sage, with hints of vanilla... his curiosity was cured when his eyes dialed in on the candle sitting feet away on his bedside table. A homey scent, something that brought a twinge of nostalgia to his mind, even though he couldn't place it. As he continued to scan the new place, he noticed a large, blank space in the open closet, the rack offering storage space.