Chapter 2

A whine broke the silence of the night, sending a jolt of surprise up Logan's spine. His eyes blinked open, his previously curled position shifting to a slight seat on the mattress. As his eyes adjusted to the darkness, he noticed Mary sitting on the end of his bed, sound asleep. Where the hell did the noise come from if not her? Sitting in the silence for a moment, Logan took notice that it smelled stronger here than before - the candle had definitely been lit between his time falling asleep and whenever it was now.

"Fuckin' please, just leave it-"

The whimper came from a few feet above him, and Logan connected the dots, rising from his section of the bed and rubbing his eyes a bit as he moved around to Wade's bedside table. Puppins stayed where she was, watching Logan as he pulled the covers back slightly and sat on the edge.

Looking at Wade, his face buried halfway in his pillow, Logan noticed first that he was shaking. His hands were clenched in fists and he had the blankets tangled in his legs. A few tearlines had already streaked his scarred cheeks, and his lip twitched as he mumbled out a, "fuck, stop it, stop it-"

"Hey, Wade," Logan started, his voice soft. He wasn't sure what the best move would be here - place a hand on Deadpool's shoulder, potentially sending him into a fight-or-flight response; or just simply waiting until Wade stirred on his own? Logan watched Wade's face strain a pained cry, and he abandoned logical thinking. Ironically, he couldn't bear to see him suffering like this. This was different from any of their fights... this was vulnerable.

Slipping his legs under the covers, Logan slowly slid himself closer to Wade, his body heat radiating next to his. He smelled of sleep, which caused that familiar anxious feeling to stir in Logan's chest. "Wake up, bub," Logan's voice rose slightly, still as soft as the pillows around his head. Wade stirred a bit, but didn't wake.

Hesitating, Logan placed his right hand on Wade's shoulder, rubbing up and down his bicep in attempts to soothe him. The touch caused Wade's body to tense, a surprised noise leaving his lips before he gasped, his eyes flying open. Logan quickly let go of the other, preparing for the worst. Instead, he heard Wade let out a hic as he caught his breath in his throat, his head embarrassingly burying down into the pillow as he curled around himself, tucking his knees against his chest and holding them.

"I didn't mean to wake you up, sorry," Wade croaked out. He ran a hand over his head, breathing out shakily before rolling his shoulders back. "Wooh, alright. It's all good. Thanks, big guy."

Logan blinked, unsure of what to say to him. He knew Wade was good at deflecting when he needed to, and this had avoidance written all over it.

"Are you alright?"

Wade shuddered at Logan's tone - sweet, comfortable, light. All of the things he hadn't let Wade hear or see since knowing him. Wade's response struck the silence, "That depends, what reward do I get if I say I am? Or I'm not?" He forced a small laugh, its cadence dampened in the following silence of the room.

"You were having a nightmare," Logan explained, to which Wade snapped back, "No shit, Sherlock. Did the X-Men teach you those detective skills?"

Logan flinched at the mention of his old team, but pushed that aside to instead return his hand to Wade's shoulder. Wade tensed slightly, then relaxed into his touch.

"I just wanted to check on you. Do you get those dreams often?" His hands were warm and Wade felt like he was melting, his heart beating faster as he realized what was happening. That asshole was in his bed, willingly soothing him and giving him comfort.

"Are you the same Wolverine who tore my trachea with his claws and shoved his hands through my chest in an act of hatred and seething violence?" Wade straightened himself out, turning his body to look at Logan, who pulled his hand off the other once again. "Or did your heart grow three sizes too big, Mr. Grinch?"