Chapter 1

Shawn's POV

I barely took notice of the fact that Juliet was gone when I woke up. I ignored the lack off messages from her in my digital inbox. I didn't think anything of it when she didn't answer my calls.

That was my first mistake.

I read the text from chief Vick in the car, sitting in the passenger seat. Gus drove maniacally, weaving through traffic as if our lives depended on us getting to the station on time. I yelled at him. He made a face like he knew something I didn't, which was odd, but slowed down considerably at my request.

Mistake number two.

We pulled up outside the station. Gus checked his phone, and then his work phone, which wasn't strange. The look in his eyes was, however. It almost scared me. He looked like he had seen the end of the world and come back with the realization that not everything was permanent. Or something like that.

"Hey, isn't that Lassie's car?" Gus remarked as we strode into the building.

"Holy- yes, Gus, it is! He missed us!"

And then I brushed it away without a second thought.

And that was my third mistake. I can't believe I didn't notice anything amiss and act on it, not this morning, not yesterday, not all week, although looking back I know the signs were there. I got away with pretending to be a psychic for about eight years, that's how observant I am. I convinced some of the best officers of the law in the state that I had supernatural abilities. Imagine that, jack! But when I sauntered into the police station to find not only Chief Vick and various San Francisco detectives but also Carlton Lassiter, Buzz McNabb, and the one and only officer Dobson huddled around a desk speaking in hushed voices, I had no 'premonition' no flashback or 'psychic' vision. So I fell back, crushed by the weight of a thousand mistakes, unable to believe that I, Shawn Spencer, didn't predict the words "it's about detective O'Hara," didn't guess that Lassiter would stare me down and with an almost alien tear blossoming in his eye utter the words I always dreaded.

"We lost her."