Chapter 1 - Orientation party

"DING DONG"

The university campus buzzes with energy as students chat in their cliques. Laughter and conversation fill the air as groups gather on benches, against walls, or walk together, sharing stories and plans. The lively atmosphere is full of excitement, with everyone caught up in their own world within the busy campus.

And here I am, Zane, a 21-year-old in the computing department. There's no place for me among them.

"Hey!" a voice called out, catching me off guard. I looked up to see a girl with fiery red hair and piercing blue eyes heading my way.

"What are you doing sitting over there all alone?" she asked, her tone light but curious.

Finally, someone noticed me.

"I... ahhh... ummm... I was just"

Before I could finish, a guy suddenly appeared, practically bursting with energy. "There you are, Anna!" he exclaimed, running up to her with a grin, not even sparing me a glance. He pulled her into a playful hug. "Why were you sitting there all alone?" he teased, clearly enjoying the moment.

"I was gonna try and be a loner this semester," he said with a laugh, "but I guess that's not happening."

Yeah, right. Loner, my ass. One look at him, and it's obvious, he's one of the popular ones, playing at being mysterious.

They never stop with the fake humility, especially around a true loner like me. But maybe today will be different. Maybe today, I'll finally get my chance.

In the distance, a small stage stood where lecturers usually drone on. But this time, it was Jessie who approached the mic a 19-year-old junior with a shining reputation as the computer department's student body representative. Her red, silky hair practically glowed under the lights as she took center stage.

"Can I have your attention, please?" Jessie's voice rang out, instantly commanding the crowd. "You all got the text about the orientation party, right?"

Heads nodded and whispers rippled through the students as she continued, "It's happening at Green's Lounge, just behind the building we're in now. And don't forget to settle the entrance fee if you haven't already."

My heart raced. This is it. My shot. The party could be my chance to break out of the shadows and finally connect with people.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Or so I thought... The party turned out to be a nightmare. Every table was packed with people, laughter and chatter filling the room, while I sat alone, drowning in silence. Strangers surrounded me, yet not a single one acknowledged my existence.

I pulled out my phone and glanced at my reflection in the selfie cam. A nerd with glasses and messy brown hair stared back at me. Is this why no one notices me? Do I really look that pathetic?

My gaze wandered to a table across the room, where the popular students gathered, effortlessly charming everyone around them. Just watching them made me ache with the desire to be a part of that world.

"Um," a voice behind me jolted me out of my thoughts. I turned, heart pounding, to find Jessie standing there. Jessie! She's actually talking to me!

"Yeah... yes... That's me," I managed to say, hoping this was the moment everything would change.

She looked straight into my eyes, her hazel gaze bright and unwavering. "Sorry, but... can you give us this seat?" she asked, her tone so casual it stung. "It's not like you're going to be using it."