Shararat

"Haseena Begum! Aap sach mein doctor hain na? Kuch kar payenge ki hum bade sheher bheje kisiko?" Shama Malik asked, massaging the palm of the unconscious person beside her on the huge bed.

Haseena gazed at her grandmother in disbelief. "Aakhir yeh hai kaun jinki wajah se hamari skills pai ungali uthai ja rahi hai??!".

Shama smiled sheepishly. "Areh, aap toh bura maan gaye. Mehman hain na bachhe hamare. Yu aise achanak aate hi behosh hue, achhi baat nahi hai na? Yeh bach toh jayenge na?"

Haseena rolled her eyes, holding a glass of water. She had planned to sprinkle a few drops on the lady's face to bring her back to consciousness. But her grandmother's words made her lose her calm; she splashed the entire glass of water onto Karishma's face.

Everyone jerked back at the sudden action. The unconscious lady stirred and slowly opened her eyes, still trying to process the traumatic flashback she had experienced for the first time in her life.

"Haseena!" Mrs. Malik said in a stern voice, the only person capable of getting the young woman back on track. "Mafi chahte hain, Ammi, lekin humein inse ek zaruri sawal puchna hai!"

She sat beside the lady, waiting for her to fully regain consciousness. Karishma straightened her back as Shama helped her rest against the headboard. Haseena asked, "Aap hamara picha kar rahi hain?"

Karishma narrowed her eyes, shocked to see the person before her. Her mind lingered on the earlier incident as her fingers reached out toward Haseena's face, trying to confirm if she was really there or if it was just another déjà vu.

Haseena shoved Karishma's hand away and said, "Aap haqiqat mein hain, Ms. Singh. Jawab dijiye... Kya aap hamara picha kar rahi hain? Ghar kaise maloom aapko hamara? Hamare gharwalon ko itna achhe se kaise jaanti hain aap? Train se leke yaha tak kyu aayi hai aap hamare piche?".

"Whoa, whoa! Slow down, Ms. Malik! Phir se humein behosh karne ka irada hai kya aapka?" Karishma replied.

"Excuse me?" Haseena retorted.

"Jahaan tak hum jaante hain, hum usi pate par aaye hain, jo humein hamari Dadi Amma ne diya tha. Aur jahan unke bachpan ki saheli aur unka parivaar rehta hai barso se... So I am here where I was told to be! Ismein hamari galti nahi hai ki Haseena Malik bhi yahin rehti hain!" Karishma replied, laughing at her own wittiness.

Haseena stood up from her chair and exchanged a look with her grandmother. "Nanijaan?"

Shama Malik understood that it was her cue to clear the confusion for the young lady, if she truly wanted to live peacefully with everyone present. "Aaiye, madad kariye humein yahaan se uthne mein, sab batate hain aapko..."

Haseena helped her grandmother, while Sumati turned toward the sick lady, and the rest of the people returned to their work.

Haseena guided her grandmother to the balcony on the first floor. As both settled on their favorite swing in the corner, Shama asked, "Aap Savi Singh ko jaante hain?"

Haseena nodded. "Of course, Nanijaan. Aap woh aur Sumati Dadi kaafi gehre dost hain na bachpan se?"

Shama shook her head. "Jee... Yeh jinke muh pe aapne itni behremi se paani maara hai, unki ek lauti poti hai. Aur aapki Ammi ki khas saheli ki ek lauti beti bhi!"

Haseena widened her eyes in realization that she had made a grave mistake in mere misunderstanding. She could already imagine her mother's reaction when they would meet soon.

"Mar gaye Shamajaan..", She utttered. "Lag gaye beta tumhare", Shama added to her misery. Just when the devil they mentioned, arrived in time.

"Haseena Aasif Malik, Hame aapse kuch jaruri bat karni hai. Abhi!", Mrs Malik called out. Indeed she wasn't looking who will buy any excuse from the younger one at the time. "Yess..Ammi..", Haseena replied, getting up from the swing, her head bowed down towards the floor.