Breaking News

Amy

I woke up sluggishly. My eyes squinted suddenly due to the light. I managed to open my eyes slowly just to realize that I had passed the night in the street while I was asking people when last they saw Erica. I can’t believe that I slept outside. I stared around only to be greeted by dozens of eyes that seemed like they were piercing into me. Right now, I look like a shadow of myself, and then I stare at the ground. Currencies of different denominations were placed next to me. Did they mistake me for a beggar? I quickly packed the money. I had to hold the wall to support myself to stand up. I still felt the pain, so I had to limp and head straight to a supermarket close. Indeed, I was parched, and I needed water. On getting there the first thing I heard was breaking news. My eyes moved around the place and fixed on the television. An organ trafficker was caught, and it was said that he had killed a lot of people, children, adults, adults, etc., and only two ladies happened to survive; the others were reported dead. He spoke while the press was interrogating him. As he spoke, I immediately shook in fear. His voice sounded familiar to that male voice on the phone yesterday. My heart sank instantly. God, please, if this is what I’m thinking, let Erica be among the two ladies alive. They showed the first lady although her face was blurred and she was badly injured. My heart started pounding as I awaited the arrival of the second lady, but they showed pictures of the corpses, saying family members should identify their bodies. Then they showed a lady wearing a Versace crop top and mini skirt, with a Versace leg chain on her left foot. Her right foot was missing. I quickly stared at my left foot. My chain was there. I and Erica bought the Versace leg chain for ourselves my heart sank immediately. I didn’t want to believe that it was Erica’s corpse I was seeing; at this point, it felt like my world was crumbling; my appetite immediately died down, I kept on moving backward, my eyes were watery; I still couldn’t believe I couldn’t save her. She called asking me to save her, and I just couldn’t. I couldn’t save her. What sort of person would she see me as in her afterlife? Her friend, whom she sacrificed a lot for, couldn’t keep her only request. God let this be a dream. Erica is alive. Yes, she’s alive. I pinched myself, but I could feel pain at times when dreaming, you are subject to pain. I ran towards a young man. Wearing a checked long-sleeve shirt and black denim jean trousers. His face seemed somewhat familiar, but I couldn’t place it. He depicted a commanding aura. Even in casual outfits. His honey-brown curly hair fell on his well-chiseled face. Graced with hazel eyes, a thin, straight nose, and thin lips. I had to raise my head to look up to his face. Throughout my tears in the industry, I would say this is the most handsome man I’ve ever met.
“Please pinch me so I’ll confirm I’m not dreaming,” I said as I grabbed his hands, bringing them closer to my skin, but he drifted away quickly. Resulting in my shaking lightly.  Then he used the back of his palm to touch my forehead. I flinched in shock, expecting the worst.
“Are you okay young lady?” he asked, acting like he was concerned. I was shocked as I didn’t expect the concern. I just stood staring at him like a moron then I broke down in tears. Crying due to the fact I had just lost my dearest friend. 
“ how can I be okay? How can I sleep properly when I couldn’t save this one person who gave her all for me?” I said as I broke down more. Surprisingly he pulled me into his arms. Which shocked me the most.
“It’s okay. Everything can’t turn out perfectly. We aren’t immortals. The fact we are imperfect is what makes us humans.” he gave me his handkerchief so I could clean my tears. I quickly grabbed onto the handkerchief. Using it to cover my eyes.
“Thank you” I muttered slowly as he left. I quickly went out of the supermarket as I didn’t feel the urge to eat anything anymore. I was crossing the road, and I didn’t notice the traffic light on the zebra crossing had changed from green to red. All I could remember was seeing a red Benz coming with so much speed. I yelled in shock and that was the end.
I woke up finding myself in an entirely different place. The place was painted white. Did I die? I’m I in heaven? Can I see Emily? these were the questions I kept asking myself. I looked at myself. I was covered with a quilt. Life support machines are beside me. Did I survive this? I thought I was going to die. I didn’t know I’d survive this. I turned to the bedside table and saw the handkerchief given to me by the random guy neatly wrapped and placed on top of an envelope. I held the handkerchief close to my bosom and I quickly opened the envelope. It’s content to read.
“Dear friend, I know you’ve always blamed yourself for your friend’s death. I’ll give you this chance so you can clarify your conscience and also bring the culprit to justice. If you have any evidence don’t hesitate to call this number.
Attorney John
07134467382
Thanks.”
My eyes teared as I read and I dropped my phone at my house. A stranger offered to help me when that stupid neighbor of mine turned me down when I needed him the most. Then the doctor came into the hospital. I took a closer look to realize that the doctor was an old high school classmate of mine, Joan. We were so happy to meet each other. She talked about her success story, her career ups and downs, and her family. I just responded to her discussion. At that point, I realized I was a failure with no success story. Should I tell her I’m a sex worker, I’ll have to practice what I studied in school, and I have no family? Maybe this second chance is for me to correct my wrongs.
“Wait, let me get you something,” she said as she left my ward and returned a few minutes later with an envelope. “You remember Miranda” she asked.
“Yes, I do,” I said. Miranda started sleeping with married men from high school. My bad life started in my second year in college.
“She’s getting married,” Joan announced happily, and guess who she’s getting married to.
“ just speak I’m not a good guesser,” I said
“An assemblyman, shocking is it not” 
“ yes, it is, but also expected as that was the class of people she associated with,”  I explained.
“I think I need to rest now. Maybe we discuss it later, Joan,” I said as I lay down, shirting my eyes as the conversation was becoming boring to me. I’ll need to see my parents and talk to them. I need them now especially now that I’m ready to pursue a new life.