2 Can You Hear It?

She really was a teacher, that stunning lady...

The school term had started, and I was standing in line for the flag-raising ceremony. Today, I was doing something different from my usual routine: standing still with my hands clasped in prayer, without wearing my headphones, as I had for most of my life. Having Teach Renu nearby allowed me to be among normal people without the intrusive thoughts of others bombarding me as they used to.

Her presence brought me peace.

Even though it wasn't completely silent—there was the steady heartbeat of a certain someone nearby—it was better than hearing the mental noise of others, especially on the first day of school when everyone had something on their mind they either wished to keep to themselves or share with their friends.

But it wasn't like I couldn't hear other people's thoughts at all. I could still hear and see them, but they weren't as loud and overwhelming as they used to be.

"The new teacher is really lovely."

The said lovely teacher standing at the end of the line, hands clasped in prayer like everyone else, was now the center of attention for most of the male and female students. Of course, with such beauty, it was hard to tell if she was a teacher or a leading actress.

"Why would someone that beautiful become a teacher? She looks so young," a classmate standing next to me, hands clasped in prayer, turned to talk to the friend in front of them with interest.

"Maybe she didn't know what else to do. Nowadays, becoming a teacher is easy. Some can't even spell some words correctly."

"What do you mean?"

"Most teachers are dumb, hahaha."

I heard everything and shifted uncomfortably because I didn't like hearing people talk about the cute teacher like that. But who can I blame? The image of teachers these days was like that. The smart ones became doctors or architects with good salaries. Teachers were government employees with low pay, and most graduated from open universities since they didn't have to take many exams there.

"But if dumb teachers teach us, won't we become dumb too?"

"That's why we need to go to tutoring schools. The good teachers are all at tutoring schools."

"But aren't we judging too quickly? That cute teacher might be outstanding."

"Nowadays, are there people who are both beautiful and smart? Most attractive people are stupid. When they can't make a living, they marry rich. Look at celebrities; they only date high-society people because when they get old, beauty won't help them anymore, especially without brains."

"That's why you need to study hard, starting today," I said calmly after hearing everything they'd said, smiling at a friend from another class.

"Huh?"

I beamed and stood quietly, not answering any questions. After a while, I heard the thoughts of the classmate I'd just ridiculed, loud and clear.

'She just insulted me.'

Well, at least you're getting smarter. Remember, if you're not pretty, you have to be smart because no one will take care of you when you grow up.

I glanced back at the end of the line and saw Teach Renu talking politely with another male teacher. The charming lady's steady heartbeat made me feel like she was a calm presence, like a cool breeze soothing my heart.

Ba-dum...

After staring at her for a while, I noticed a slight jolt from her. Unexpectedly, Teach Renu turned and locked eyes with me like an arrow cutting through the air. And I was sure she...