Chapter Three: The Confession

The tension in Andy’s chest grew with each passing day, like a storm cloud gathering on the horizon, threatening to break at any moment. He knew he couldn’t keep going like this—carrying the weight of his unspoken feelings, pretending that everything was normal, all while his heart screamed for something more. But how could he tell Kennedy? How could he risk the one friendship that meant everything to him?

For weeks, Andy tried to push the thoughts aside, to focus on his studies, to throw himself into the activities he enjoyed. But every time he looked at Kennedy, the feelings would surge back, overwhelming him. The late-night conversations, the easy camaraderie, the laughter—they all felt tainted now, shadowed by the truth Andy was desperate to hide.

One evening, after another long day of classes and studying, Andy sat alone in their dorm room. Kennedy was out, as usual, probably at another party or hanging out with his new friends. The emptiness of the room mirrored the emptiness Andy felt inside. He couldn’t go on like this—something had to change.

As the minutes ticked by, Andy’s resolve hardened. He had to tell Kennedy the truth. It was the only way to free himself from this torment, to finally be honest about who he was and what he felt. He knew it was a risk, that he could lose Kennedy forever, but the thought of continuing to live this lie was unbearable.

Just as he was working up the courage to rehearse what he might say, the door swung open, and Kennedy walked in. He was in high spirits, as usual, a wide grin on his face as he tossed his bag onto his bed.

“Hey, man!” Kennedy said, pulling off his jacket and throwing it on a chair. “You wouldn’t believe the night I’ve had. We went to this crazy party, and—”

“Kennedy,” Andy interrupted, his voice barely more than a whisper.

Kennedy paused, noticing the serious look on Andy’s face. “What’s up? You look like you’ve seen a ghost.”

Andy swallowed hard, his heart pounding in his chest. This was it—the moment he had been dreading and anticipating in equal measure. He took a deep breath, trying to steady himself.

“There’s something I need to tell you,” Andy began, his voice trembling slightly. “It’s… it’s important.”

Kennedy’s expression shifted from excitement to concern. He sat down on the edge of his bed, looking at Andy with a mixture of curiosity and worry. “What’s going on, Andy? You’re scaring me.”

Andy’s hands shook as he tried to find the right words. Every scenario he had imagined flashed through his mind—Kennedy laughing it off, getting angry, walking out of the room and never coming back. But there was no turning back now. He had to do this.

“I—” Andy started, his voice cracking. He paused, gathering his thoughts. “I’ve been hiding something from you for a long time. And it’s been eating me up inside because… because I care about you more than anything, and I can’t keep pretending anymore.”

Kennedy’s eyes widened slightly, but he didn’t say anything, waiting for Andy to continue.

“I’m… I’m gay, Kennedy,” Andy finally said, the words tumbling out before he could stop them. “And I’ve been in love with you for a long time.”

The silence that followed was deafening. Kennedy stared at Andy, his expression unreadable. Andy could feel his heart pounding in his chest, the blood rushing in his ears as he waited for a response. He felt exposed, vulnerable in a way he had never felt before. The fear of what might happen next was suffocating.

For a moment, Kennedy said nothing. Then, he stood up slowly, his face contorted in a mixture of disbelief and disgust.

“You’re joking, right?” Kennedy finally said, his voice cold. “This is some kind of prank?”

Andy shook his head, feeling a lump form in his throat. “No, I’m not joking. I’m telling you the truth.”

Kennedy’s expression darkened, and he took a step back as if Andy had become something repulsive. “You’re telling me… that you’re gay? And that you’ve been in love with me? Do you even realize how messed up that is?”

Andy felt tears prick at the corners of his eyes, but he blinked them back, refusing to cry. “I know this is a lot to take in, but I couldn’t keep lying to you. I needed you to know.”

Kennedy’s anger flared. “Needed me to know? For what? So you could make everything weird between us? Andy, this… this is wrong. You and me… it’s never going to happen.”

Andy’s heart shattered at Kennedy’s words. He had known this might be the reaction, but hearing it out loud was worse than he had imagined.

“I’m sorry,” Andy whispered, his voice barely audible. “I didn’t want to hurt you. I just couldn’t keep it to myself anymore.”

Kennedy shook his head, his disgust evident. “This is too much, Andy. I need some air.”

Without another word, Kennedy stormed out of the room, leaving Andy alone with his shattered heart and the silence that seemed to close in around him.

As the door slammed shut, Andy sank onto his bed, tears finally spilling down his cheeks. He had known there was a risk, but nothing could have prepared him for the pain of Kennedy’s rejection. Everything he had feared had come true, and now the one person he cared about most in the world was gone.

In that moment, Andy felt more alone than he ever had in his life.