Chapter Four: Shunned and Isolated

The days that followed Andy’s confession were a blur of pain and isolation. Kennedy had barely spoken to him since that night. The easy friendship that had once been their lifeline now hung in tatters, replaced by a suffocating silence that pervaded their shared dorm room. Every time Kennedy entered the room, the tension was palpable, the air thick with unspoken words and emotions that neither of them knew how to address.

Kennedy’s reaction had been swift and brutal. He began spending more time with his new group of friends, the ones who didn’t know Andy or understand the depth of their past. It was as if Kennedy had built a wall between them, a barrier that Andy couldn’t break through. Whenever they did have to interact, Kennedy was cold and distant, his words clipped and laced with disdain.

Andy tried to reach out, to bridge the gap, but every attempt was met with indifference or outright hostility. The rejection stung, but what hurt even more was the loss of the friendship that had once meant everything to him. Kennedy had been his best friend, his confidant, the person who had always been there for him. Now, that person was a stranger.

As the days turned into weeks, Kennedy’s behavior took a darker turn. It wasn’t enough for him to just ignore Andy—he seemed to take a twisted pleasure in making Andy’s life as difficult as possible. The whispers started first, spreading like wildfire through their circle of acquaintances. Rumors about Andy’s sèxûality, his feelings for Kennedy, his supposed “betrayal” of their friendship. Kennedy didn’t outright start them, but he certainly didn’t stop them either. And his silence was all the encouragement his new friends needed to start making Andy the target of their scorn.

The bullying escalated quickly. It began with cruel comments and snide remarks in the halls, barely hidden behind fake smiles and forced laughter. Then, it grew into something more tangible—books knocked out of his hands, cruel graffiti scrawled on his dorm door, anonymous messages left on his phone. Each incident chipped away at Andy’s already fragile sense of self, until he could hardly recognize the person he had once been.

One day, as Andy sat in the back of the lecture hall, trying to focus on the professor’s words, he felt a tap on his shoulder. He turned to see one of Kennedy’s new friends—Brent, a tall, athletic guy with a mean streak that everyone on campus knew about. Brent smirked down at him, and Andy’s heart sank.

“Hey, Andy,” Brent said in a low voice, dripping with sarcasm. “Got a minute? We need to talk.”

Andy shook his head, trying to ignore the sinking feeling in his stomach. “I’m busy.”

Brent’s smirk widened. “Oh, come on. Don’t be like that. We’re just trying to help you out, you know? Maybe give you some tips on how to survive around here. I mean, we all know what kind of… reputation you’ve got now.”

Andy felt his face flush with shame and anger. “Just leave me alone, Brent.”

But Brent wasn’t backing down. He leaned in closer, his voice a harsh whisper. “You think you can just go around messing with people’s lives and get away with it? Kennedy was your friend, man. And you—” He glanced around, making sure no one else was listening before leaning in even closer. “You crossed a line. Don’t think for a second that we’re going to let you forget it.”

Andy’s hands clenched into fists under the desk, but he forced himself to stay calm. “I didn’t do anything wrong.”

Brent laughed, a cold, humorless sound. “Didn’t do anything wrong? That’s rich. You know, Andy, you’re lucky Kennedy’s such a nice guy. If it were up to me, you’d be out of here already. But don’t worry—we’ll make sure you get the message soon enough.”

With that, Brent straightened up and walked away, leaving Andy with a sinking feeling of dread. The lecture continued, but Andy couldn’t focus. His mind raced with anxiety, fear, and a deep sense of betrayal. He had known that confessing his feelings to Kennedy was a risk, but he had never imagined it would lead to this—a complete unraveling of his life, with no one to turn to and no escape in sight.

The bullying didn’t stop. If anything, it intensified after that encounter. Kennedy’s group seemed to take every opportunity to make Andy’s life miserable, from public humiliations to subtle, insidious acts of cruelty. Andy’s grades began to slip, and he started skipping classes, too afraid to face the taunts and jeers that awaited him on campus.

The worst part was the loneliness. Andy had never felt more isolated in his life. The friends he had made in college distanced themselves, either because they didn’t want to get involved or because they believed the rumors. The person he had always counted on, the one who had always had his back, was now the source of his pain.

One evening, after another long day of enduring the torment, Andy returned to his dorm room to find the door slightly ajar. His heart raced as he pushed it open, only to find his belongings strewn across the floor. His books were torn, his clothes dumped out of the closet, and the walls were covered in hateful messages scrawled in red marker.

Freak. Disgusting. You don’t belong here.

Andy felt tears well up in his eyes as he surveyed the damage. It was the final straw. He couldn’t take it anymore. The room that had once been a refuge, where he and Kennedy had shared countless memories, was now a place of torment. He couldn’t stay here—not another minute.

With trembling hands, Andy grabbed a duffel bag and began shoving his clothes inside. He didn’t know where he was going, but he knew he had to leave. He couldn’t stay in a place where he was constantly reminded of what he had lost, where the very walls seemed to mock him.

As he packed, his phone buzzed on the desk. Andy hesitated before picking it up, his heart sinking as he read the message.

**Kennedy:** You should leave, Andy. For your own good.

Andy stared at the words, feeling a hollow ache in his chest. Kennedy’s message was the final nail in the coffin, confirming what he already knew—there was no going back. Their friendship was over, and the life he had known was gone.

With tears streaming down his face, Andy finished packing, grabbed his bag, and walked out of the dorm room, leaving behind the wreckage of his past. He didn’t know where he was going or what would happen next, but he knew one thing for certain: he had to start over, away from the pain and betrayal that had consumed his life.

As he walked through the darkened campus, the weight of his loneliness pressing down on him, Andy vowed to find a place where he could be himself—a place where he could heal, away from the shadows of his past.