1| First Meeting

It was Archana's first day of college, and she entered the campus while talking on the phone with her mother

"Beta, thik se pahunch gayi na?" (Sweetheart, you reached safely, right?) her mother asked.

"Haan, Maa, main pahunch gayi. Aap tension mat lijiye. Aap apna, Papa, aur Bhai ka dhyaan rakhna. Main nahi hoon iska matlab ye nahi ki dawai time pe na lo," (Yes, Mom, I've reached. Don't worry. Please take care of yourself, Dad, and my brother. Just because I'm not there doesn't mean you should skip your medicine) Archana replied, sounding worried.

"Haan meri maa, le lungi dawai. Main teri maa hoon, tu meri maa nahi hai. Maine tera haal puchne ke liye phone kiya tha, aur tu mere hi peeche pad gayi," (Yes, dear, I'll take my medicine. I'm your mother, not the other way around. I called to check on you, and now you're the one worrying about me) her mother said with a light laugh.

"Haan, kyunki main nahi hoon na wahan aapka aur Papa ka jhagda solve karne ke liye. Toh ladai ke liye energy chahiye na aapko, isliye dawai time pe lena," (Yes, because I'm not there to stop you and Dad from arguing. You'll need energy for that, so take your medicine on time) Archana teased.

"Main ladti hoon?" (I argue?) her mother asked, pretending to be surprised.

"Haan, main nahi hoon na, kahin aap bore ho jao aur timepass karne ke liye ladai kar lo Papa se," (Yes, since I'm not there, you might get bored and start arguing with Dad just for fun) Archana joked.

"Main jaanbujh ke ladai karti hoon? Tu zyada apne Papa ki chamchi mat ban," (I argue on purpose? Don't side with your Dad too much) her mother replied, half-teasing.

"Achha thik hai. Main aapko baad mein call karti hoon, college aa gayi hoon. Aap apna dhyaan rakhna," (Alright, I'll call you later, I've reached college. Take care of yourself) Archana said as she ended the call, saying goodbye.

As she walked in from the parking area, a car suddenly sped into the campus. Her hand brushed against it, making her phone slip from her hand and crash onto the ground, breaking into pieces. She noticed a small cut on her hand, feeling a sharp sting.

A boy got out of the car and hurried over to her. "Yaar, I'm really sorry. Maine aapko dekha nahi," (Hey, I'm really sorry. I didn't see you) said Karan.

Archana wasn't even looking at him; she was too busy picking up the pieces of her broken phone from the ground. Karan knelt down and started helping her when he noticed her injured hand.

"Aapko toh chot lagi hai, chaliye hospital chalte hai," (You're hurt, let's go to the hospital) Karan said, looking at her hand with guilt and concern.

"Nahi, koi baat nahi, choti si chot hai, apne aap thik ho jayegi," (No, it's okay, it's just a small cut, it'll heal on its own) Archana replied, brushing off his worry.