Chapter 9

The clock ticked at 9

The clock ticked at 9.36 pm and upon taking a peek at your daughter’s room, seeing that she’s already fast asleep, you silently closed her door and went back to the living room and began doing some cleaning and tidying up. Taking your time because you’re not even feeling drowsy, you made sure to thoroughly clean everything that needed to be clean.

Upon being done and you’re by the kitchen, about to make yourself something to drink, you heard the bell sound echoing from the outside, meaning that someone’s at the door. “What time is- Who’s coming here at this hour…” Confused yet slightly nervous, you made your way to the front door and only then you’d wish that you had those little glass on doors that you used to peek at the other side. Clearing up your throat almost silently, you had the door opened.

“Hi Hyunjae…” As surprised as the way your eyes widened a bit to see Hanni on the other side, you kept your cool, despite… noticing that it was Hanni but her hair’s flowing down instead of tied up and somehow it unknowingly felt warm to your eyes. “Hanni? Hey… H-How did you… How did you get here- I mean how did you know I live here…?” You asked probably the most important question of that moment because of the fact that you never even tell anyone beside your three friends, where your apartment is.

“Umm… I actually went to the bakery about fifteen minutes ago… and I thought that you’re still there but you weren't so I asked one of your friends… the tall guy… and he gave me your address.” Hanni answered you honestly and you’re even more confused. “Okay… but what’s the reason Hanni? Are you okay though?” You asked, somehow gotten a bit worried by how worried she looked. “Y-yes, yes I am o- wait no… no actually I’m not really okay Hyunjae…”

“Is Haein? Is she asleep right now or is she still awake?” Hanni asked without breaking eye contact with you while her fingers were fidgeting. “She’s asleep already, Hanni but what’s wrong? What happened?” You then opened the door fully. “...something happened to Haein?” And noticing that your voice was shadowed with worry, the same way as when she heard you back at the kindergarten, Hanni immediately shook her head. “No- No nothing happened to Haein. It’s just, can we talk for a bit Hyunjae?” She asked with a soft yet guilty sounded tone. “...this is about Haein’s mother.”

And you couldn’t even hide the way your eyes widened almost immediately after hearing her and somehow if it’s dead silent around you two, she could probably hear how loud your heartbeat was that moment. “...something happened between us earlier today and I probably got myself into something that I shouldn’t even be in the first place… but I did. And I felt terrible about it, Hyunjae…” In all honesty, the way her voice somehow cracked slightly was more worrisome but you remained silent.

“...I have to get something off my chest and I don’t know if I can sleep tonight with it still remaining inside of me. So I hope that we can talk it out tonight. Please.” She didn’t sound pushy nor she didn't sound desperate but she sounded like someone that wants to correct the wrong and you’re not that terrible of a person to actually say no. “Okay… Okay sure Hanni…” You then gave some space for her at the door. “...come in, let’s talk.”