Chapter 3

As I pull into the parking lot of Hawk Insurance, I notice Beth's motorbike already neatly parked in its usual spot. She wasn't wrong about the speed advantage of having a bike, especially when you factor in traffic. Although, I suppose she did have a head start on her journey as I finished gawking over her alluring aura. I let out a quiet laugh, imagining myself on one. The thought is as ridiculous as it is fleeting. My mother's shrill voice echoes in my head, conjuring a vivid image of her horrified face if I ever rolled up to her house on a motorbike. "Death traps," she'd call them, and I'd never hear the end of it.

Stepping into the towering Hawk Insurance building, I'm immediately assaulted by the blaring sound of our latest advert playing on every screen. The purpose? Who knows. Anyone who's already inside hardly needs convincing about our services. Still, the repetitive drone of the company's promises follows me like a shadow.

"Good morning, Debbie!" I say brightly, flashing a smile at the receptionist as I glide towards the elevator. Debbie glances up briefly, her usual polite smile in place, but I can tell she's only half-engaged, lost in a sea of paperwork. I don't blame her, as I would normally be that nonchalant in the mornings too; My own spirits have been oddly lifted this morning, thanks to my unexpected encounter with Beth earlier.

In the elevator, I press the button for the 8th floor, the red light around it flickering to life. A groan escapes me as the advert's jingle starts up again, this time through the speakers. The first time I heard it, I was impressed with how they managed to sell our company's so-called "outstanding customer service," knowing full well how things really are around here. The irony is almost too much.

"At Hawk Insurance, we'll turn you from prey to predator," I mimic in a sarcastic tone, rolling my eyes at the empty promise. The doors slide open, revealing a sea of despondent faces - customer service reps, just as drained as I feel. I've thought about leaving more times than I can count, especially since Dylan's salary could easily support us both. But now, with Beth around, I find myself reluctant to go.

I make my way to my desk, exchanging hollow greetings with colleagues as I pass. Once, this place was lively, full of jokes and chatter. But that was before the new owners came in, sucking the joy out of the office and leaving us as little more than overworked cash cows.

The morning crawls by, each tick of the clock on my screen dragging me closer to madness. By the time 11 a.m. rolls around, I've been staring at it for what feels like an eternity. Then, a burst of energy interrupts my dull routine.

"Knock, knock! I need a huge favor!" Josie's voice chirps at my side.

"Oh, hi, Cammie! How are you? How's your day going?" I tease, swiveling in my chair to face her. Josie is a sweetheart, really. We started here around the same time, and over the years, she's become one of my closest friends.

"Yeah, yeah, pleasantries later - this is urgent! Are you and Dylan free tonight?" she asks, practically bouncing with excitement.

I glance at my screen, the date staring back at me as I try to recall any prior commitments. "I think so, but I'll need to check with Dylan. Why?"

"You know that new guy I've been seeing, Jack?" Her eyebrows arch slightly, trying to jog my memory of which of her many boyfriends this one is. "He wants to take me bowling tonight, and I thought it'd be fun if you and Dylan could join us. Please say yes - I might've already told him you'd come," she adds with a sheepish grin.

Classic Josie, always letting her enthusiasm run ahead of her. I'm terrible at bowling, but I know she won't take that as an excuse. "Don't you think it's a bit early for him to meet your friends? Isn't this only, like, your third date?"

I'm hoping to plant a seed of doubt, but Josie's determination is unyielding. "Oh, come on, Cam! Please? You know I have the worst luck with guys. I'm hoping you can help me figure out if he's worth keeping around before I get too attached." Her eyes softened with each syllable she spoke, turning into those big, pleading puppy-dog eyes she knows I can't resist.

"Okay, fine. Let me check with Dylan," I sigh. The gleam in her eyes returns instantly, and she flashes a smile that could light up the entire office.

"Thanks, Cam! Let me know as soon as you can so I can book it!" she chirps, spinning on her heel to leave. I pull out my phone, dreading the conversation ahead.

Hey, want to go bowling tonight?

I send the message, knowing full well what I'm hoping the response will be. My phone vibrates almost immediately.

You? Bowling? Are you okay? Have you been kidnapped? Can't tonight, babe - taking the guys from work out for beers. It's been a rough day.

Relief floods through me. Not that I didn't love Josie, but the thought of bowling tonight was more than I could handle.

I type out a quick email to Josie: Sorry, Josie - Dylan's got plans tonight. Try to reschedule, and I'll do my best to make it next time.

The last part is a hollow promise, one I hope she won't hold me to. Despite my relief, a pang of loneliness settles in as I think about spending the evening alone. Dylan's been a workaholic ever since his promotion to regional manager three years ago. I'm proud of him - without him, we wouldn't be able to afford our beautiful home. But sometimes, I wish I felt like more of a priority in his life, rather than just another item on his to-do list.

With one problem resolved, I turned my attention back to my work, desperately searching for any task that can occupy me for the next 6 hours. This is going to be an awfully long day.