❃ Chapter 23

The reflection on the water stared back at Hyunjin, still and lost somewhere in thought. The words you had uttered yesterday repeated in his mind endlessly. We can be civil.

Truthfully, Hyunjin didn't know what being friends entirely entailed, let alone what you meant by being civil. It had been thirteen years since the last friends he'd had. It felt foolish to be happy about something he barely understood.

And yet, a small part of him found unabashed joy in the matter.

What could he do to become your friend? What duties must he fulfill to become what you dubbed as 'civil'?

He stared at the silver goblet of water in his hand, then glanced at the waterskin you chugged water from ungracefully. Surely that leather pouch could not keep the liquid cool under the blazing sun. Should he offer you a drink from the palace's cooling water channels? Would that be the civil form of kindness you expected of him?

Hyunjin's free hand found its way to his ear and he subconsciously fiddled with his piercings.

"Sōrsānt?"

He let go as though his ear had scalded him.

It was a bad habit he'd developed after his father's passing, fidgeting with his many hooped earrings whenever he found himself confused or nervous. His mother would lash his hand with a stick whenever she noticed him do it. He'd long since buried the habit, but it would still appear unexpectedly at times he was unguarded.

Somehow, he'd been so lost in thought that he mistook your voice for that of the Ērmār reprimanding him.

Hyunjin turned his head to acknowledge your call. Sitting cross-legged on the outer edge of the sand square, you appeared somewhat hesitant when you asked, "Can I ask you a question?"

"Yes."

"I noticed that you have more piercings than other Nilfyn Azārāhis... Why is that?"

Hyunjin felt his ears burn. You must've noticed his earrings when he childishly fiddled with them. He fathomed no reason for his current embarrassment by your attention, for you were always poking your nose into subjects that did not concern you.

He took a sip from his goblet. Perhaps this was what you meant by being civil. "The number of Channeling Cores indicates one's societal ranking.

"First is the royal family. They are marked by the eight diamond Cores." he ran a finger across the edge of the cup. "Then, seven Cores for those of inner circle aristocratic birth and six for those of outer circle aristocratic birth.

"The commonfolk are given one violet Core upon birth. Low-rank soldiers are given an additional black Core. Then, depending on one's merits and achievements in society, they may advance to five Cores."

Nilfyn society was deeply hierarchal. Each newborn Nilfyn was granted a number of piercings according to their rank at birth through the Royal Channeling Core Bureau.

"By that logic, I outrank the Ērmār. Not that it has ever mattered," Hyunjin scoffed, but before he could let you dwell on his statement long, he added, "Those Azārāhis you mentioned are likely of rank two. Three, if they are squad commanders, but not higher."

You stayed quiet, and for a moment, he was worried you'd realized what a mistake it was to speak to him. By society's rules, Hyunjin was only second to the royal family, while you, a mere human who shouldn't even be in his presence.

That thought made him uncomfortable in a way he'd never experienced before.

"Does the number of Cores affect your magic's strength?"

Hyunjin relaxed. It appeared you were only processing the new information, not regretting your choice to 'be civil'. "No. It does not."

You hummed in acknowledgment then stood, brushed the sand off your trousers, and bowed. "It seems that I have been impertinent with my actions, Sōrsānt."

Hyunjin stilled, but when you rose, he caught the ghost of a smile on your lips.

Oh.

He emptied his goblet and set it down. Of course, you wouldn't now be fazed by his status, not when you'd been so brazen as to insult him before. "You have. How do you plan to make amends for it?"

You trailed your Kizāri on the sand, glancing back at him. "A good, honest fight."

With a small grin, Hyunjin picked up his Kizāri and followed you.

A good, honest fight.

Perhaps being civil was much easier than he expected.