arabesque

September 10th, 2024

My pursed lips were enough for any passing wanderer to gather I wasn't having a good time. My head was positively aching with exhaustion and a looming migraine. Rainbow strobe lights were flashing in front of my blue eyes and my freckles looked like little colored stars from certain angles. It wasn't a large room, so the tumultuous noise echoed against the walls and straight into my bleeding eardrums. My brunette waves with hot pink highlights -that were a few showers away from disappearing- glowed in the nightclub lighting.

It smelt like liquor and sweat and as I watched tiny dresses rub up against other shiny bodies I rolled my eyes. Sitting in a booth alone, still sipping at my first drink I've been nursing for six hours, scrolling through my phone as it's battery progressively dies. Remixes of popular songs drain away any of my leisure. 

As my phone starts notifying me it's minutes away from dying, I scan my eyes around the room again. My friend Jo who dragged me here for her birthday is nowhere to be seen and I sigh. With the little battery I have left I flick her a text telling her I'm going home. She doesn't reply but I know she's with our other friend Amelie. Throwing my bag over my shoulder I slip out of the booth after downing the last drawls of my drink. 

Walking out of the nightclub is so nice, the night is warm and breezy. The stars are bright, and the palm trees are swaying beside the concrete paths. The city is busy for the late hour it is. I walk slowly, in no sudden rush to be anywhere. I can smell the salty water from the nearby beach. Hear the waves. Clinging to my golden skin is a white blouse and a long maxi skirt adorned with colored patterns. The skirt sways in the wind and I regret not bringing a jacket. My hair gets touched by the air too, doing its own little dance in front of my head. I laugh to myself and spin around looking at the sky. It's a truly gorgeous night. 

That's when I see in the corner of my eye a figure, on the sand; dancing. 

My lips can't help but quirk up and smile. It's a contemporary dance that much I can tell, it's impulsive and emotional. I see the figure leap and bound, extending their leg and pointing their toes. It sparks my curiosity. And I watch from behind a palm tree. My eyes glazing over in awe. The waves crash over their feet softly, as they end the dance in one final arabesque that sprays water up over them. It's beautiful. I smile and stand watching their chest pushing in and out heavily as they catch their breath. Rising and falling in tune with mine. The temptation to join them is, well tempting. But I haven't danced in years, and I can't fathom being as silly as to change that now. 

"Hello stranger". Comes a voice from behind me and I turn to see a guy with dusty brown hair and a wide lopsided grin. He's tall and firm. Muscley but not in an obnoxious way. He's holding two beers and looking at me with a head tilt. He's wearing a shirt and shorts, and the wind blows his shirt around too. I stand flabbergasted momentarily. Unsure as how to respond. He chuckles a little and then turns his head to look at the person on the beach who I can now recognize to also be a guy. From the way he is built and staring at us or mostly me with deep grey eyes. He stands stalking up the beach towards me and the man beside me. 

"Hi". I say suddenly remembering he spoke to me. He just laughs and once the dancer who I suspect to be his friend gets close he passes him one of the beers. Using his free hand the stranger puts his hand out for me to shake. I take it politely; his hands are much bigger than mine, but they are soft and warm. 

"I'm Silas but call me Sil or I'll throw up on you in distaste for formalities. I saw you watching this one's dance". He says with a silly expression, leaning towards the dancer as he speaks. That makes me smile. "This is my friend Draco. But call him dipshit it suits him better". He continues and the dancer he introduced to be Draco hits him on the shoulder. I smirk at them.