present day

It had been two weeks since Alistair had last seen Carl. He didn't know if he ever would since the dead started walking but he was pulling through his mother trying to shelter him from the outside world every step of the way. He looks around the house they had set up in shakily grabbing a knife as he sees a figure at the door before a loud blood curdling scream rang out his mother stumbling through the door a walker gnawing on her forearm. "Don't just stare at it, help me do something Alistair!" she screamed out seeing Alistair standing there in shock. He slowly walks forward handing her the knife watching as she plunges it into the walker's skull. "Alistair honey look at me." she grabs his chin making him look up at her sobbing "You need to survive for me you're going to beat this world i know you can even if i wont be there to see it." tears begin to roll down Alistair's pale cheeks as he realises the severity of the situation. "You need to kill me please honey right between the eyes this won't be easy for you but neither will the rest of the world." she hands him the gun which was resting on her hip. "Alistair, look at me you have to do this for me." she puts the barrel of the gun in his hands pointing the barrel in between her eyes

"NO no I I can't do this not to you please there has to be a way." he rests his fingers on the trigger trying to prepare for the worse "honey we both know there isn't a way as much as we want there to be so come on be a good boy for your mother and pull the damn trigger." She forces his fingers further onto the trigger trying to push them down then silence .He looks down at his mothers lifeless corpse, a hole going straight through her head, blood splattered against the walls, parts of her brain on the floor behind her. He collapses down onto the floor next to her sobbing trying to shake her awake "no no no no no please wake up please you cant be gone how am I meant to keep going without you." he lays there next to the corpse before passing out shortly after.

A few hours have passed as Alistair begins to wake from his sleep sitting up looking around seeing the figure of what seems to be a walker pressed against the front door before it flops over sideways blood splattering against the tinted glass. The door handle starts to jiggle as he sits up trying to find somewhere anywhere to hide himself. Panicking he crawls behind the kitchen doorway he back pressed against the wall breathing heavily the gun held close to his chest as the door swings open. "No no no please just walk away." he whispers to himself hearing the footsteps edge closer as he sees someone in a hospital gown walk past him "Mr Grimes?" he calls out wondering if it is who he thinks. The man looks down seeing Alistair hiding in the doorway "Yes and you are?"

"Shit I thought you were dead. I'm Alistair I was Carl's friend. I went with him to the hospital a few times while you were in a coma." he looks up at Rick, seeing his opened hospital gown and bandages wrapped tightly around his stomach. "Wait you awake you're actually awake how it's been two weeks how are you still alive?"

He turns the corner of the doorway staring down at Alistair seeing the gun held closely to his chest slowly reaching out, taking it from him "Shit kid what are you doing here alone?" he looks down at the lifeless body next to Alistair "Oh I'm so sorry kid no one should ever have to do this." he crouches down next to him brushing his long black hair from his eyes "Kid listen I'm just trying to find my family once I do we can stick together ride out whatever shitstorm this is until the military blows through."

"No military, it's all gone everything's gone." Alistair looks up at Rick still shaking "what'd you mean it's gone I saw a helicopter flying over Atlanta a few hours ago." Alistair looks up confused at him "A helicopter? No, that's impossible. The military fell at the beginning. I watched before the power went out." Rick walks past him looking through the draws. "Well I doubt that they have fallen there has to be some form of a military left out there somewhere anyways there anyways we'll be getting help from the outside world in a few weeks once they realise the US has gone down." "It's worldwide there is no military, just survivors hoping this all blows over soon enough." He stands up grabbing a knife from the kitchen drawer "But this does not explain how someone who was in a coma who had shown no signs of waking up survived for two weeks unharmed without knowing what had happened to the world." Rick turns around seeing the lanky pale kid shaking, pointing a knife at him "woah woah kid lets not do this, put it down." he tries reaching for the knife seeing Alistair backing up "your bit aren't you show me." he tried swinging at rick cutting his forearm "get out I can't have you here." Rick tries grabbing his wrist, the kid slashing at him "GET OUT." He watches as Rick slowly backs away stumbling out the house watching as Rick takes a bike riding it down the road slowly getting out of view.

"Shit shit shit why did I do that I can't live out here on my own." he starts mumbling to himself before slipping out the front door going in towards the highway leading to the city. Did I really just do that? The only other adult i've seen since the start is such a moron god damn it why do I have to be so stupid.

After a few hours of mindless travelling he finds himself on the highway seeing a rv slowly walking over to it peaking into the door seeing an old man in the driver's seat and a young Asian man in the passenger seat looking down at a map trying to tell him something before seeing me peek into the window "woah was that a kid." he unrolls the window peeking his head out "shit that is a kid dale open the door." I try hiding seeing the rv door swing open as the old man steps outside "well are you just gonna stand there or are you gonna get in the damn rv kid." I look at him nodding, mumbling something before getting into the rv standing behind him. "So you've got a name kid?" the Asian man asks, still looking down at the map "ali-alistair." he stutters mumbling "and you are?" the asian man looks up at him seeing the blood and dirt across his face "look like you've been through hell and back kid i'm Glenn that's Dale." I nod at him "is it just you two or are there others?" Glenn looks back down at his map trying to figure out a route somewhere "we have a group up in the mountains by the quarry. There's a few kids up there look around your age give or take a few years." I lean on the back of his seat "We were planning on taking a supply run into the city but I guess that will have to wait. I'm not taking a kid into that death trap." I nod at him "it's been like hell i'm sorry to interrupt your um supply run " Glenn looks behind him "listen it's fine you're just a kid we can go back to the camp then i'll come back out on my own like usual." I look at Dale as he starts the engine flaring to life "sit down kid, my driving isn't the best we'll be back at our camp before sunset." I nod at him before sitting down on the sofa leaning against the table as Dale starts to drive off leaving the city in the distance.