Chapter 1: The Oberoi Family

The grand gates of the Oberoi Mansion opens revealing a world of enchantment beyond.

A luxurious black Rolls-Royce stops at the entrance. As the driver hurriedly opened the gates, stepped out a man of status and influence. His hazel-green eyes scanned the magnificence before him as he removed his black sunglasses. This was Shivaay Singh Oberoi, the eldest son of the Oberoi empire, and the next heir of the Oberoi dynasty.

He extended his hand, helping a young woman out of the car. Her eyes that reflected a calm ocean of peace and her smile that can melt even the diamond. She smiled warmly at him as she took in the grand surroundings.

"This is the Oberoi Mansion," Shivaay said proudly.

Hand in hand, they walked into the opulent halls, every corner of which spoke of luxury. Shivaay's gaze fell on a woman descended the grand staircase, engrossed in a phone conversation. Her every movement exuded sophistication, elegance, and grace.

"Mom," Shivaay called out.

"That's my mom, Jhanvi Singh Oberoi," Shivaay said, his tone filled with respect and admiration. "She's the commander of our house, the one who has upheld the family through thick and thin. Her presence commands respect, and her words carry weight in this house. No decision is made without her approval. She's the backbone of our family, the one who holds us all together, even in the face of adversity. Without her, none of us would be where we are today."

Jhanvi, looked up from her phone, a warm smile replacing the seriousness on her face as she approached her son.

"Shivaay, finally you're here," she greeted him with affection and relief. "I've been waiting for you for quite a while. It's so good to see you after so long."

Shivaay bent down to touch her feet, seeking her blessing. But as Jhanvi's gaze shifted to the young woman standing behind him, her demeanor changed, her expression turning more guarded and stern.

"An unexpected guest, I see. Shivaay, have you forgotten why I have called you here? You did promise to marry the girl I choose for you, didn't you?" Jhanvi reminded him, her voice firm and unyielding.

"Mom relax, this is Anika. She's a friend," Shivaay responded, his tone abrupt. "I invited her to stay until her project here is completed."

Jhanvi's eyes narrowed slightly. "I was not born yesterday, Shivaay. We are Oberois, only someone who can match our status, our lifestyle, who can uphold our legacy, our pride, and bear the responsibilities of this house will become our daughter-in-law. And I will not tolerate any compromise with that. Remember this very clearly."

"I know mom. I remember everything you taught me and I will abide by all your decisions. I won't do anything to let you down," Shivaay assured her, his voice steady.

Jhanvi's expression softened slightly. "That's why you are my pride," she said, her voice filled with a mixture of pride and expectation.

She advanced towards anika and said, "You are a guest of my son. We'll ensure you experience the world-class hospitality of the Oberois." Casting a quick glance at Shivaay, she continued, "As you are here as a guest, I expect you to act as one," with that, she walked away, resuming her call.

Shivaay turned to Anika, "hey just chill, okay? Mom has high standards and expectations for everyone in this family. She may seem tough from the outside, but deep down, she's incredibly kind and caring. She always puts us above herself, and while she doesn't often show it, her love for us knows no bounds. You'd soon love her company."

As they continued walking, they passed by the house temple, where Shivaay's grandmother was quietly praying. Shivaay paused and gestured toward her.

"Anika, this is my Dadi," Shivaay introduced as they approached the temple.