Chapter 1: A Chill in the Air

### 

### 

It was early autumn, and the world around Shika felt warm, yet a cold breeze lingered inside her. She had walked to high school with her friend, Luna, her thoughts a whirlwind of frustration and sorrow. Despite Luna's attempts to cheer her up, Shika's mind was preoccupied with her recent breakup. The coolness of the season matched the chill in her heart.

"Well, Luna, they're all the same. I guess I'm not going to date anymore," Shika sighed, kicking a small pebble on the sidewalk. She adjusted her oversized jacket, pulling it tighter around her. The soft breeze made her shiver, but it wasn't just the weather that caused her discomfort.

Luna, her long ponytail swaying as she walked, shot her friend a sympathetic glance. "Don't worry about it. There are plenty of fish in the sea," she said with a cheerful tone that felt a bit forced. She hoped it would uplift Shika, even if just a little.

As they entered the high school building, the warmth of the hallways enveloped them, though it did nothing to ease Shika's internal cold. The bustling energy of students hurrying to class filled the air, and Luna kept chatting, trying to distract her. But as they passed by a group of classmates, Shika's name echoed in an all-too-familiar mocking tone.

"Hey, Mrs. Cold, is it snowing at your place?" Maku's voice rang out, her laughter mixing with that of her friends. They were leaning against the wall, their eyes gleaming with mischief.

Fuchima, another member of the group, chimed in, her voice dripping with sarcasm. "I've never known it could snow in low-altitude areas. Must be special, huh?"

Their laughter pierced through Shika, and she felt the sting of their words like icicles. She was used to the teasing, but it didn't make it hurt any less. Luna stopped in her tracks, her eyes narrowing as she turned toward them. "Hey, knock it off!" she snapped, her hands clenched into fists.

But before things could escalate, Shika gently tugged Luna's arm, shaking her head. "Just ignore them," she whispered, trying to maintain her composure. Deep down, she didn't want any more attention drawn to her than necessary.

Ryoku, a quiet girl who had been standing nearby, suddenly spoke up, her voice shy but firm. "Stop annoying her," she said, her words catching the bullies by surprise. Maku and Fuchima exchanged glances but shrugged, seemingly bored of their own antics. They muttered something under their breath before walking off.

Luna gave Ryoku a grateful nod, though the moment was quickly interrupted by the teacher's arrival. "Everyone, take your seats," the teacher commanded, her stern voice echoing in the classroom. The morning's disruption faded as the day moved forward, though the cold that lingered in Shika's heart did not.

Shika, relieved that the confrontation had ended, took her seat next to the window. As the teacher delved into the lesson, Shika's thoughts drifted, her gaze shifting to the vibrant colors outside the window. She found a sense of calm in the rustling leaves, momentarily forgetting the harshness of her classmates.