•2•

Emilio was still patient and kept walking up and down like a caged animal. He stayed until morning. His hair was a mess. His face was a mess. He hadn't even brushed his teeth the night before or even now.

Dhallia had fallen asleep. She decided to stay. How could she not? Her best friend was there on the hospital bed. She told Emilio to wake her up when they came.

After a few agonizing minutes, the nurse finally came into the waiting room, bowing, "She's ready now."

Without a second thought, Emilio shot up and was off like a hare, Dhallia rushing behind. When they got there, they were met with shock. If you thought Emilio looked bad, then just wait until you see Evelyn. She looked so tired and as if she had lost a lot of weight.

Dhallia almost tripped as she ran over to her dear friend, squeezing her hand reassuringly.
"You'll be okay, babes, don't worry."

The doctor then came with a smile on his face, the midwife clutching the washed baby in her arms.

"Can...can I hold her?" asked Emilio.

The midwife asked, "Are you the father?"

Emilio nodded his head.

"Well then, here you go."

Emilio looked at the baby, and a smile seeped onto his tired face. The baby seemed to look like a boy.

Just then, the doctor came forward to him, also smiling, "You must be so happy. Do you know what you're going to name her?"

The smile dropped from Emilio's face as soon as it appeared. Her? But they were meant to have a boy. This didn't make sense. Didn't the doctor from their appointment say that he was 100% sure?

"Um, I don't know...my wife shall decide," he glanced nervously at him, scratching the back of his neck.

Emilio looked at his wife; she had fallen asleep again. The nurse came forward, "Perhaps you should leave," she said, taking the baby girl from his arms, "your wife clearly needs some rest."

Emilio nodded his head before stepping outside. Dhallia had also been told to leave, so she hastily left as well, disappointed that she couldn't stay with her friend.

While Emilio sat, he had a look of utter confusion on his face. Dhallia couldn't care less about him, but she also couldn't help but wonder what was wrong with him.

"What's up with you?" she said, rolling her eyes.

Emilio couldn't be bothered to deal with her right now. "What's it to you?" he asked frustratedly.

"Am I not allowed to ask how my best friend's husband is?" she asked with a look of innocence.

Emilio wondered if he should tell her or not. Gossip would spread fast. He decided not to tell her.

"Okay, rude," she sighed. "Best not to pester him, I guess," she thought.

🤍

Evelyn continued to sleep for another five hours until she woke up stretching. The nurse was also in the room at that moment, minding her own business, busily looking at her clipboard.

"Um, excuse me?" asked Evelyn.

The nurse immediately got startled and looked at Evelyn, but then she smiled.

"Yes, Mrs. Stalking," said the nurse; clearly, she was surprised. Evelyn had been sleeping very well, in a deep, deep sleep. It almost seemed as if nothing would wake her up.

"Since you're awake now, Mrs. Stalking," she stated, "I shall go and alert your guests."

"Guests?" asked Evelyn.

"Yes, you have two people waiting outside in the waiting room."

Evelyn pondered for a little before suddenly remembering, "Oh yes, please do send them in; I'm sure that they must be worried sick!" Evelyn quickly exclaimed.

"Right you are, Mrs." She then began to scurry out of the surgery room, remembering to maintain her composure and slowing down a little.

"Um, excuse me...."

An exhausted Emilio and Dhallia glanced up sleepily at her.

"Mrs. Stalking has woken up," she said, her hands clasped in front of her.

Emilio suddenly started sobbing, which alarmed the nurse greatly.

"Is something wrong, sir?" she asked calmly.

Dhallia interrupted, "I'm sure that it's because Evelyn was asleep for quite some time.... Not even I knew when she might wake up, and I already know that first births take time." She spoke, small tears also pricking out of her eyes.

"Of course. Now would you like to come with me and meet the new baby girl?" she spoke softly. Mr. Stalking still clearly seemed shaken.

He got up from his seat and followed the nurse, along with Dhallia, who sashayed after them. Once they got to the room, they immediately saw a tired-looking Evelyn resting on the bed with a small, bonny baby in her arms.

🤍

Dhallia's eyes immediately sparkled. That was her best friend on that hospital bed with a living, breathing baby in her arms, and it belonged to her! She was so stunned that she started crying again, tears falling down her long, pretty lashes.

Emilio was next to her, also crying. He so wished that Evelyn would be alright. Now here she was in front of him with a baby. Their baby. A baby that they made together out of love. He wasn't sure if he wanted to look at the baby. If it wasn't a boy, then why would he want to? He had so hoped and longed for a boy.

Anyways, he didn't want to ruin this spectacular occasion. His wife had just given birth, and the baby was also his. So he asked her, "Can I hold her?" She looked at him smiling; she knew that he'd be okay if she gave birth to a girl and not a boy.

"Of course, my love." She held the baby out to him for him to take. He held the baby carefully because, to be honest, the last time he had held a baby was his little brother, and who knows how long that was? He was at least twenty years old right now.

Anyways, he held the baby and rocked her back and forth. He mentally told himself that he'd be a good father. He'd treat his child with love and care. Suddenly, Dhallia interrupted yet again, "Can I hold her?" she beamed. Why is she everywhere? he thought. Anyways, he handed his child to her since she wouldn't stop squealing; she was so damn loud!

Dhallia held the baby with love and care as well. She had always wanted a baby. But she had never wanted to get married. She did have a boyfriend, but they hadn't progressed in the relationship that far yet. Maybe they could get married, but who knows? No one knows the future.

The baby was unusually calm. Normally, babies scream and shout as soon as they see the light. But she was strangely calm. Her eyes were closed, but they fluttered open every now and then. She had quite long lashes for a baby, but they made her all the more beautiful. She was going to be a very attractive young lady when she grew up, just like her mother.

Evelyn's first birth had tired her out. She still had her beautiful features, but she didn't care about any of that now. All she cared about was her husband and her baby daughter. She could only die peacefully after seeing her daughter grow up while she would become old.

Evelyn began to grow impatient, and she held her tired arms out. Dhallia immediately knew what she meant, so she placed the baby ever so carefully into her arms. Evelyn smiled and nuzzled the baby's gorgeous face.