Chapter 6: Clash of the Titans

At the top floor of the Mu Yi Hotel, in an open-air private lounge, three men dressed in identical casual outfits were lounging in recliners and chatting.

"I'm telling you, Gu Tianji, how long are you going to keep this up? For every gathering, you force us to wear the exact same clothes. We're not even twins. You really are something else," Duan Yanxiang complained while adjusting his outfit.

"Hey, don't be ungrateful. If it weren't for our years of friendship, I wouldn't have personally designed these outfits for you. Do you know that each time we gather, there are only four sets of these outfits in the entire world? You should feel honored. Look at Ya Hao, he has no complaints, it's just you who keeps whining," Gu Tianji said, admiring his own design. His friends were indeed the best models—so handsome. Of course, he took most of the credit for their looks.

"Who has had years of friendship with you? We've got a grudge, if anything." Duan Yanxiang and Gu Tianji had a rocky start, clashing over a woman and ending up in the hospital for over a month. Although years had passed and he was now engaged to Xiaoqian, Duan Yanxiang still resented Gu Tianji's attempt to woo her. "And Ya Hao doesn't have no opinion; he just doesn't bother talking to you."

Gu Tianji had insisted on them wearing his designs at every post-graduation gathering. Despite numerous objections, they eventually gave in. However, Duan Yanxiang remained disgruntled and had to complain each time to ease his frustration.

Gu Tianji glanced at Shao Ya Hao, who was sitting quietly with his eyes closed. "Shao Ya Hao, you're being so boring. Can't you say something? Do you really think silence is golden? You came to a gathering, not to sleep. If I had known you'd be like this, we should have invited Ya Yun; he's much more fun."

At the mention of Ya Yun, Shao Ya Hao's eyes snapped open, glaring fiercely at Gu Tianji. Gu Tianji was unperturbed and glared back, not intimidated in the least. After all, he was the son of Gu Xunjie, the underworld boss of Moore City. Let him glare—Gu Tianji wasn't afraid.

Duan Yanxiang sipped his red wine leisurely, ignoring Gu Tianji's antics. He knew Gu Tianji was childish and that he wouldn't be satisfied without some bickering at every gathering. He also knew that mentioning Shao Ya Yun was a sensitive topic for Ya Hao, but Gu Tianji persisted in doing so.

"What are you two doing? Competing to see who can keep their eyes open the longest? I want to join; that's my specialty." The owner of the private lounge, Lin Mufeng, approached carrying a plate of seemingly delicious dishes.

"Mufeng, please don't be as childish as Gu Tianji," Duan Yanxiang said, shaking his head. How could grown men still act like children? It was a mystery how they were praised as business prodigies, design geniuses, or underworld leaders. The media was truly blind. But it was no surprise given their powerful backgrounds.

In Moore City, the five major families led by the Single family were well-known, and these three men—Shaos, Gus, and Lins—were the current heads of their respective families. They not only had remarkable family backgrounds but also god-given appearances, making them enviable to both men and women.

"Yanxiang, you must have a problem with your eyes. We're all men among men, how could we be childish?" Lin Mufeng placed his newly created dish on the table.

With the food in front of him, Gu Tianji immediately forgot about his staring contest with Shao Ya Hao. He greedily grabbed a side dish from the plate and started eating, jokingly, "Whether we're childish or not is up for debate, but you don't need to argue. To Lan Meng's eyes, no one could be more childish than you."

Gu Tianji had a knack for saying what shouldn't be said. The result was Lin Mufeng taking back the food just as it was about to reach Gu Tianji's mouth. "Hey, Lin Mufeng, what are you doing? Is what I've tasted supposed to be better?"

Duan Yanxiang found Gu Tianji's expression amusing as he enjoyed the delicious food Lin Mufeng had brought. "Mufeng, you did well. His mouth is too busy to eat, so there's no time for him to enjoy the food."

"Duan Yanxiang, can't you keep quiet? Does your mouth stink if you don't talk?" Gu Tianji wasn't one to give up easily. Seeing that Lin Mufeng had taken his food, he swiftly grabbed the shrimp that Duan Yanxiang was about to feed himself and popped it into his own mouth, sticking his tongue out at Duan Yanxiang.

"Boring!" Shao Ya Hao, who was wearing black-framed glasses and elegantly picking food with a toothpick, uttered two words dismissively.

Gu Tianji shot him a glance, reaffirming his earlier thought. "I need to remember to invite Ya Yun next time. Shao Ya Hao, you're better suited to stay in your company as a wooden president."

Shao Ya Hao wasn't interested in Gu Tianji's provocations. For him, the mouth was for eating, not talking.

Lin Mufeng was used to his friends' peculiar way of showing their friendship. They wouldn't communicate without these little squabbles. What concerned him most was whether the jade shrimp he had just made was good enough. "How does it taste, Ya Hao? Is it up to your standards?" Shao Ya Hao was the most discerning eater among them, and if he was satisfied, it would definitely be okay.

"Mufeng, is this another dish for your beloved Lan Meng?" Duan Yanxiang's eyes remained glued to the shrimp on the plate. Lan Meng was a big deal, and Mufeng had pursued her for ten years without a clear answer. The brothers were anxious to see some progress.

"Duan Yanxiang, what nonsense are you talking about? It's as if I prioritize love over friendship. Every dish at our gatherings is made by me," Lin Mufeng retorted, unwilling to accept the implication.

After finishing his cucumber slice, Gu Tianji grinned. "That's true. Every dish at our gatherings is made by you, but it's all to let us test how good it is, with the ultimate goal of impressing Lan Meng. We're just taste testers. You can't deny that."

Lin Mufeng had no rebuttal. He often used gatherings as an opportunity to let his friends taste his new creations. After receiving their approval, he would then cook for Lan Meng. Although he might appear to favor his beloved, it wasn't entirely his fault. After all, he had fallen for a woman who was extremely picky and difficult to please. After ten years of pursuing her, the only thing he had earned her appreciation for was his culinary skills.

"Mufeng, don't listen to Gu Tianji's nonsense about not understanding love. Brothers are here to help each other. Gu Tianji, you'll understand the meaning of love and sacrifice when you find someone you care about," Duan Yanxiang said, being the one who understood Mufeng the most because he too loved someone deeply, willing to do anything for her, even give up his life.

"Why don't I understand love? How about you give Xiaoqian to me so I can experience what love and sacrifice are like?" Gu Tianji continued to provocatively suggest.