Gmaj7

"I like being here with you," Robert quietly noted.

"What'd you say?"

"This moment- being here with you... it's nice. Don't you think?"

Jimmy, focus now on Robert, stared at his friend and said, "yes it is," before returning to brainstorming.

"Let's not take these gentle moments for granted..." said Robert.

Jimmy looked up again to catch his eyes, but Robert, guitar still in his lap, was already lost in attempts at finding the chord he'd been searching for minutes ago.

Jimmy decided to temporarily abandon the revisions he'd had in mind for the first verse, and instead take Robert's advice.

He watched as his friend fumbled his way across the fretboard in pursuit of that mystery chord.

He hatched a small smile as he observed the naivety in the movements and placements of Robert's fingers. Jimmy remembered how he himself used to make the same inexperienced guesses years and years ago.

It was amusing watching Robert, knowing the motives and exact thoughts behind every sound he mustered from the guitar.

"Do you want me to tell you what the chord is?" He offered.

"Please, for God's sake, yes," Robert replied, "I feel foolish."

"Gmaj7," Jimmy said through a grin.

Robert gave him a blank stare and said, "that doesn't help me!"

He looked down at the fretboard, frantically slid his fingers up and down the neck, struck a G chord (a note he knew), shrugged his shoulders, then let both his hands go limp, defeated.

"Alright, alright, alright..." Jimmy laughed- Robert did not. "Put your first finger on the high E, second fret. Second finger- B string, third fret-"

Robert did as he was told and looked up at Jimmy's face for an indication of approval.

"Okay, yes, good. Now, third finger on G string and fourth fret... wait, no- move it- no, not there-" he watched Robert struggle before deciding, "I'll just show you..."

He stood up, walked to Robert, and knelt down behind him. He leaned over Robert, the pendant of his necklace rested on his shoulder, and he adjusted Robert's fingers with his own.

Now, with two sets of fingers on the fretboard, the gmaj7 chord was ready to play.

"Okay, Robert, strum just the last four strings."

And alas, the sound Robert had been searching for filled the room. A toothy grin erupted across his face and he looked up at Jimmy who was beaming down.

Jimmy let his eyes hang on Robert even after he'd turned away. His hair was glowing golden in the light of the fire, captivating Jimmy briefly.

He tore his eyes away only to realize he was still trapping Robert into that Gmaj7.

He quickly withdrew his fingers, but they froze in the air, and before he could even think about what he was doing, he'd slid his fingers back onto the neck of the guitar and in between Robert's.

Both men watched with curiosity as their fingers weaved and interlocked with each other.

Robert shot a quick glance up at Jimmy who seemed to be under a sort of spell, eyes hazy and glued to the fretboard.

He felt Jimmy draw in a sharp breath before pulling his hand away.

Robert's fingers were still lazily positioned in the ghost of Gmaj7. He removed them and let his wrist instead dangle them over the neck of the guitar, closer to the wooden body.

He looked at Jimmy again who looked at him. Robert watched him study his face- eyes running over every inch.

He bit his tongue on words as he faced Jimmy. The silence between them felt too thick to penetrate and Robert didn't know what to say anyway.

He just stared back up as he felt Jimmy's fingers creep into his hair and tuck strands behind his ear.

He turned his head forward again but watched Jimmy from the corner of his eye. His hair was brushed away, exposing his neck. He tilted the side of his face back again slightly, just enough to catch glimpses of Jimmy's eyes as they darted back and forth between his gaze and neck.

And soon Robert felt Jimmy's breath on his skin, under his ear. It was hot and hovered for a moment before a small kiss was gently placed.

Robert held back a confused smile and stared into the fire as he contemplated how to react.

Jimmy continued to kiss his neck, each kiss getting closer to his jaw, until Robert finally turned to his friend.

"Jimmy... what are you doing?"

Jimmy kept his stare stuck on Robert's neck, "I'm just... trying something..." he mumbled between two more kisses.

Robert pulled his body away from Jimmy to look at him.

"I think that maybe we've had too much to drink?" He suggested. He grimaced slightly at that sentence which he'd never imagined himself having to say, especially since the wine bottle (only halfway empty) would indicate otherwise.

Jimmy just stared down at him with his hand still tucked in his hair, "I don't think so."

Robert fought for words, but found himself arrested and speechless under Jimmy's watch.

His eyes fell to Jimmy's lips and after a few short breaths, Robert whispered, "okay..."