Chapter 3: Langga

In a peaceful village near the woods, a boy and his mother decided to take shelter after getting kicked out of their 6th home in the bustling city. This new home is quite promising as it was surrounded by trees. Everywhere, the sound of nature could be heard. 

"This will be our new home, Lang", the beautiful woman said to his young son. Her hair is as dark as the night sky and her eyes are ruby red. Her face is stern, but he knows full well that she's got a gentle heart. 

He smiled at the nickname his mother gave him. Lang, short for Langga or Lalang, is an endearment he received from his mama, and it means beloved. Every time his mother calls him that, it made him happy. His mother is the best. 

He beckoned her down to his level so he could whisper to her ear the thoughts that he's been wanting to convey ever since they started travelling to get here, "I hope we'll stay here for long. I want to make lots of friends in this new home". His little voice is small and delicate. It's like her heart is being caressed by the softest feather. 

Sadness filled the heart of the mother. She wants to give him everything he desires, however, if she did, he'll die. This is the consequence of her stubbornness. Now, the son she brought into this world is taking the burnt.

With a stern face, she said to her seven years old son, "Stay, you say. Our life is not normal. Once we stay, this little thumping heart of yours...", she pointed at it, "... will stop". Her eyes no longer shine. It's complex, adults are difficult to understand. 

She held his tiny hand and lead him inside the village. She's right, it was peaceful here. It's the right choice that they left the city. Here, nobody knows them. No one knows the real her. She'll give it five months. After that, they will have to move again. This set-up might be tiring but, in their world, staying for long means death.

The mother held the small hand tighter. It's warm. All she has to do is keep it that way. 

And she did... but it made hers cold and decay.