Chapter 7: Shadows of the Past

The beach was perfect. The sun shone brightly, the water sparkled like scattered diamonds, and a gentle breeze kept the heat at bay. As the afternoon rolled on, Azrael pulled out a picnic mat from his ever-prepared duffel bag, spreading it on the soft sand under the shade of a palm tree.

"Sit tight," he instructed Ren with a gentle smile, his voice laced with an easy-going warmth that had grown more natural with time. He then strode off to a nearby beachfront restaurant, returning moments later with a pair of burgers and a pile of fries wrapped in paper. They sat together on the mat, the smell of saltwater and the rich aroma of the food mingling in the air as they ate.

The sea stretched out before them, endless and serene, and for a while, it seemed as though nothing could mar the tranquility of the day. But as they ate, Ren's mind began to drift. The joy from sailing started to ebb away, replaced by memories of a life she once knew—her past life. The sound of waves crashing on the shore became distant as her thoughts turned inward, her heart growing heavier with each passing moment.

Azrael noticed the shift in her demeanor almost immediately. Her responses became slower, more absent. She stopped speaking altogether, her gaze fixed on a point far beyond the horizon, lost in thoughts that seemed to pull her further away from him.

Concern etched across his face, Azrael gently placed his hand on Ren's, but she didn't react. Panic gnawed at him, and without hesitation, he pulled Ren into his arms. The world around them dissolved into darkness as he transported them back to his home, where Ren had woken up that first day in the new world.

The moment they arrived, Ren gently pulled away, offering a small, weary smile. "I'm alright," she assured him, her voice soft but lacking its usual energy. "Just a bit tired from today, that's all."

Azrael searched her eyes, seeing the exhaustion that went beyond mere physical tiredness, but he didn't push. He watched as Ren slowly made her way to the bedroom, her movements robotic, her tiny frame appearing even more delicate in the dim light. A strange, heavy sadness settled in his chest—a sensation he wasn't used to, but one that had become more frequent since meeting Ren.

Hours passed, and the house grew quiet. Ren had gone to the bedroom after claiming she just needed some rest. But as time dragged on, Azrael began to worry. He prepared a simple meal—pizza, one of Ren's favorites—hoping it might lift her spirits. When she didn't come out of the bedroom, he felt a twinge of concern. He set the pizza on the table and knocked gently on her door. "Ren, it's me. I've got your favorite: pizza. Can I come in?" There was no response. He waited a moment before carefully opening the door and peeking inside.

When he entered the bedroom, he found it empty and noticed the steady steam coming from the bathroom. He knocked lightly on the door, waiting for a response that never came. His unease grew, and after a few agonizing minutes, he decided he couldn't wait any longer.

He entered the bathroom cautiously, and what he saw made his heart skip a beat. Ren was sitting in the corner of the shower, her knees drawn up to her chest, her eyes staring blankly at the spotless white tiles. The water, still running, had turned her skin a deep, angry red from the heat. Azrael's instincts kicked in, and in the blink of an eye, he was by her side, turning off the water with a swift motion.

"Ren..." His voice was soft but filled with concern as he bent down, grabbing a towel and wrapping it around her. He lifted her effortlessly, cradling her against his chest as he carried her to the bed. She didn't resist, her body limp, her mind still somewhere far away.

Azrael dried her hair with a mere flick of his hand, then pulled the blanket over her, tucking it around her as she curled up on her side. He laid down beside her, his arms wrapping around her small frame, offering what little comfort he could.