Chapter Eighteen: Camp Half-Blood (Victory against Kronos) (Part 4)

(Camp Half-Blood, above New York City, Olympus, Throne Room)-after the battle

"Gods of Olympus" Darcey whispered to her friends in complete awe, but respect to the Gods. Seeing the Greek Gods of Olympus in front of Darcey was almost like a wish come true. "I hope you're happy now Darce." Donald whispered to Darcey. Twitchy whimpered at the sight of the Gods, feeling completely nervous and terrified at the same time. Jiminy felt intimated and bowed in respect to the Gods, as did Faith. The Three Fates themselves took Luke's body. When Darcey saw them, they looked much more terrifying in their human disguises than in the books she read. To Percy, he's hadn't seen the old ladies in years, since he'd witnessed them snip a life thread at a roadside fruit stand when he was twelve. They'd scared Percy then, and they scared him now—three ghoulish grandmothers with bags of knitting needles and yarn. Donald, Jiminy and Goofy were freaked out by them, so they hid behind their friends for protection.

One of them looked at Percy, and even though she didn't say anything, his life literally flashed before his eyes. Suddenly he was twenty. Then he was a middle-aged man. Then he turned old and withered. All the strength left his body, and he saw his own tombstone and an open grave, a coffin being lowered into the ground. All this happened in less than a second. The next one looked at Darcey, like with Percy she didn't say anything, suddenly her whole life and entire future flashed before eyes. Suddenly she was twenty-one, fighting and travelling to many new worlds with her friends and family. Then she was a married middle-aged woman. Then he became old, wise and was in her deathbed. All of her power and strength was passed onto her future successor, next she saw her tombstone and an open grave, where a royal like coffin was being lowered into the ground. As if it all happened in a second. Darcey gripped her head and looked at the Fate, saying in her head "Stop messing with my fate.". Darcey thought to the Fates. But was ignored and then looked at both teens. It is done, she said. The Fate held up the snippet of blue yarn—and Percy knew it was the same one he'd seen four years ago, the lifeline he'd watched them snip. At first, he had thought it was his life. Now he realised it was Luke's. They'd been showing him and Darcey the life that would have to be sacrificed to set things right. Darcey remembered the role of the fates and loom of fate, one weaves, the other spins and the final one cuts the thread ending the life of a person.

They gathered up Luke's body, now wrapped in a white-and-green shroud, and began carrying it out of the throne room. Donald, Goofy and Jiminy took off their hats and placed them over their chests to symbolised their farewell to Luke. Faith bowed her head in saying farewell to Luke as well, Faith warbled in sadness. "Wait," Hermes said. The messenger god was dressed in his classic outfit of white Greek robes, sandals, and helmet. The wings of his helm fluttered as he walked. The snakes George and Martha curled around his caduceus, murmuring, Luke, poor Luke.. Just as Darcey visualised from the books and the internet she read about. Percy thought about May Castellan, alone in her kitchen, baking cookies and making sandwiches for a son who would never come home. Darcey felt pity for May Castellan for everything she's been through and now she'll never see her only son ever again. Hermes unwrapped Luke's face and kissed his forehead. He murmured some words in Ancient Greek—a final blessing. "Farewell," he whispered. Then he nodded and allowed the Fates to carry away his son's body. As they left, Percy, Jiminy and Darcey both thought about the Great Prophecy. The lines now made sense to him, Jiminy and Darcey. The hero's soul, cursed blade shall reap. The hero was Luke. The cursed blade was the knife he'd given Annabeth long ago—cursed because Luke had broken his promise and betrayed his friends. A single choice shall end his days. Percy choice, to give him the knife, and Darcey's choice to face Luke and him from the darkness, and to believe, as Annabeth had, that he was still capable of setting things right. Even Darcey's harmony bond and her light powers help free Luke from Kronos's control. Olympus to preserve or raze. By sacrificing himself, he had saved Olympus.