14. French Kiss

Charley's POV

What the hell? I opened my mouth, but all I heard on the other end was "beep beep beep—"

He hung up on me.

How did he know where I was? I stood there, phone in hand, totally clueless and frozen.

Just now, that crazy bitch called me again. But this time, she leveled up—she didn't use her phone or my dad's phone. She borrowed a nurse's phone from the hospital to call me. She knew I'd pick up an unknown number because I got into the habit when I was job hunting—you never know when it could be an offer.

Another screaming match. She went on about how her daughter, my "stepsister" Skye, has been whining nonstop about wanting to go to the big city like me, to study and work. She's looking down on this family, looking down on our small town, and today they had a huge fight, and Skye stormed out with some cash.

Ha! She thinks everyone's like her, happy to be the other woman and stuck in some tiny place forever? Please.

And honestly, it's a question whether that daughter is even my dad's kid. But she's got my attitude—stubborn, ambitious—nothing like her pathetic mom.

I was debating whether I should help look for Skye when Aziel called.

I actually forgot about him! Oh Gosh!

Not long after, Aziel's car pulled up. He rolled down the window and said, "Get in. Since dinner's off and work's done, I'll drive you home."

His tone was the same as always, no emotion showing.

But I caught his look. I'm pretty sure he was pissed. I mean, if someone ditched me, I'd definitely call and chew them out. Aziel was keeping it cool.

When your boss is mad, you don't say "no" as an assistant.

So, I got in the passenger seat and sent him the location. He started driving.

We sat in silence for a while.

After a few turns, Aziel picked up his phone, did something, and then said, "Sort out these streamer profiles. You can do it now."

I clicked on one of the links.

WTF! These were links to streamers on the 100.F platform! All of them were pretty women dressed in skimpy outfits, boobs practically jumping out of the screen. I clicked on a few more—they were all from the streaming leaderboard.

So, as expected, I'll see...

Yep. I saw that. The last link was for C, from the "C's Time" channel.

Alright, my boss wasn't even being subtle. He's straight-up telling me he knows I'm streaming! This is how the boss plays, huh?

I stared at the screen a bit longer when I heard an ambiguous voice from my left, "Interested in this streamer?"

!

"No, no way!"

I don't know how much time passed, but when I looked up, we were already on the sketchy outskirts near my dad's old place.

A guy like Aziel, loaded and young, probably doesn't come out here much, huh?

My mood suddenly dipped. I couldn't even describe how I felt. Maybe... a bit jealous.

Not to mention my messed-up family and said, "Mr. Garcia, you can drop me off near that building up ahead. Thanks."

Aziel didn't hit the brakes. "I'll take you to the door."