i.three

╔⏤⏤⏤⏤╝☼╚⏤⏤⏤⏤╗
[ i . continued ]

╚⏤⏤⏤⏤╗☼╔⏤⏤⏤⏤╝

⏤⏤⏤⏤⏤⏤⏤⏤

SHE STUMBLED BACK into Harriet and Sonya, a curse slipping from her lips, quiet but trembling.

Blood dripped from the shoes of the swinging bodies, hitting the floor with soft, sickening splatters. It pooled beneath them, dark and thick, spreading out like an soil slick across the cold, hard ground.

She could hear the sounds of the others behind her, retching, gagging, spitting. Some were bent over, losing whatever food they'd managed to keep down.

Rogue wanted to throw up too, the bile rising in her throat, but she swallowed it back down with a hard, painful gulp. She couldn't break, not now. Not in front of the others. She had to hold it together. But how had things spiralled so quickly, so violently? 

Her stomach tightened in knots, and her vision blurred for a moment as she blinked away the shock.

Sonya's hand suddenly found hers, their fingers intertwining, and Rogue gripped it like a lifeline. She could feel the rapid, pounding pulse in Sonya's wrist, beating fast. It matched her own, like they were tethered together in fear. Rogue's jaw clenched, her knuckles turning white as she squeezed Sonya's hand tighter.

A sharp sound cut through Rogue's daze, pulling her attention away from the bodies. She turned her head to see Hashslinger standing beneath one of the handing corpses, reaching up and tugging at something strapped to the body.

'Hash, what are you doing?' she asked.
Hashslinger glanced over her shoulder. With one last pull, she tanked a small pistol free from the corpse, the body swinging slightly from the sudden force. She clicked it open and checked the ammo.

'There's enough to go around,' Hashslinger said. 'We'll be needing 'em. Those Crank buggers are everywhere.'
'Alright,' Harriet began, 'let's slow down, please. Think rationally. Someone killed these people, and we might be next.'
'Hence,' Hashslinger said, waving the pistol in the air.

Sonya took a step back and raised her hand defensively. 'Careful with that, you twonk,' she snapped. Her eyes darted nervously between the gun and Hashslinger. 'We don't even know how to shoot.'

Hashslinger paused, scrunching her brows. 'How hard could it be, really?' she said, aiming the barrel at the wall in front of her.
Harriet rolled her eyes. 'Hash, don't be —'

She pulled the trigger.

The gunshot exploded through the room, much louder than any of them had expected. Rogue flinched, hands instinctively flying to cover her ears. The other girls did the same, groaning in discomfort as the sharp ringing settled into their heads.

Rogue looked up at Hashslinger. She was standing there, rubbing her ear, with a triumphant glint in her eyes. 'See?' she said.

Rogue pulled her hands away from her head. Hashslinger glanced at the others. 'Now, I say we pinch these guns before the raiders come back and use 'em on us instead.'