chapter XI

North's first initial thought was to confront Night. Ask him why he disappeared without at least contacting him, ask him how he could be so heartless and ask him why he was pretending that they didn't know each other but North has gotten more mature with time and less impulsive. Had it been the him from a few years ago, he would've probably had done it without hesitation, but for now, he decided to observe Night for a while and see how all of this played out.

Night was still as intelligent as always and had an interesting way of problem solving. The students seemed to adore him because although Night was knew and North's students like their professor had a tendency of being "difficult" and "hard to handle" for new and unseasoned lecturers but Night seemed to hold his own against them.

Night was also open to learning but would always give his input and was willing to argue his point with North about certain things, to be fair North was kind of being petty just to gain a reaction out of Night. For the first few weeks, all they did was argue, but not once did Night back down, nor did he go crying to Ella's office like some of the other junior lecturers have in the past.

"Professor, I appreciate your perspective on things, but please bear in mind that these are only 3rd year students." Night had argued.

"I only produce the best of the best. If they can't keep up, then maybe they shouldn't be taking my class in the first place." North had replied.

"They are taking your class because most if not all of them admire you and want to follow in your footsteps. So can you at least be lenient on them. There's an easier way in which we can approach this subject." Night had retorted.

"I am not here to spoon feed them and make their lives easier. This is the real world, and things won't be just handed to them. I expect them to have a certain level of problem solving skills for them to advance to the next level." North had replied.

"Professor North, I understand that, but it doesn't necessarily mean you have to purposefully make things difficult for them." Night had retorted.

"I am not making things difficult for them. Actually I think the project is rather easy." North had replied.

"Are you always this stubborn?" Night had asked, looking kind of irritated.

"Are you always this annoying nong'Night?" North had said in response, and Night had glared at him.

"North!" Ella had said coming into his office, "I can hear you guys argue from a mile away." Ella said.

"I am sorry, Professor Ella." Night had said, looking like a chastised child.

"I wasn't arguing. Your rookie here thinks he knows better than me, apparently." North had said out of pure pettiness.

"I don't think I know better, Professor North. I was just giving you my input, which is something I was hired to do, and Prof. Ella had encouraged me to do it." Night had argued.

"I appreciate your input, but I don't need it." North had said in response.

"North, please stop being stubborn. Dr. Night is correct. You two are meant to be working together. He was hired to help you since you will be taking on masters and a few honours students, so please cooperate." Ella had scolded him.

"Well, if you are taking his side, then how about you let him take over the class then." North had said in response.

"North, that's not what I am saying. Please don't be difficult." Ella had said, sounding exhausted.

"If you'll excuse me. I have somewhere to be. How about you two discussed how to butcher the curriculum I have already set and make it "easier" and more palpable for the students." North had said and left.