Episode 4: Pure Astonishment

EPISODE 4: PURE ASTONISHMENT

-MAX-

Time off in between a doubleheader never really feels like time off. I get maybe one day to myself while the rest are filled with team meetings, PR meetings, Media training, and the other endless tasks of a Formula 1 driver. Not that I have any room to complain. I do live a nice life, filled with luxury. But we always envy what we can't have, and right now I envy those with a career that allows them to sleep in past 7:00 am. However, with the amount of Redbull that I'll be required to have on me at all times, I doubt I'll feel an ounce of my drowsiness until the end of the night.

I throw on my team kit before heading out the door and down to the lobby. There is no doubt that Christian is already down there waiting for me. He usually rides to the races with me to give me a "pep talk' before we get there. At least that's what he calls it. I just think he does it to ensure that I'm going to say the right things when it comes to talking to the reporters. They do everything they can to get a story of some kind. My lack of a filter typically gives them what they want, but I don't give a fuck. However Christian and our PR team do give a fuck, so I do my best.

The ride to the track feels longer today, but I think that has more to do with my dread for media day. Race weekends would be perfect if I could cut out the media days. I don't despise the entire day. We do get to have a little bit of fun, but I still find the day to be pointless. I'd rather have one more day to relax. I get lost in my thoughts as I stare out the window, drowning out the sound of Christians rambling. I wonder if Sophia will be there. I heard that she would be joining her dad for the entire race reason, but does that include days like these?

I couldn't put my finger on it, but there was something so captivating about her. Most people in her position would bask in the public's attention. Embrace it even. But not Sophia, she seems to avoid it. Shy away from it. I wanted to know why. The last encounter I had with her outside the motorhome left an imprint in my mind. I saw her sitting them, waiting for her team of people. She just looked so...sad. Maybe that's not the right word. Lonely? I don't know, and who am I to make assumptions about a girl that I've only just met? I don't even know her, so why does it bother me so much?

I'm torn from my thoughts when I notice my window being rolled down. Fans are screaming outside as we enter. "Nothing like high-pitched screams to wake you up in the morning, eh Max?" I wave out my window, smiling at fans and interacting with a few who brought signs. Now this is a part of media day that I do enjoy. There is typically no big rush throughout the day, which allows more time to interact with the fans.

I sign a few autographs on my way into the paddock, doing my best to include everyone. I spot Charles on the way in. "Oi! Are you lost, mate?" Charles turns around at the sound of my voice, laughing when he sees that it's me. "Good morning mate, how are you?" he asks with his thick French accent. "Oh you know, I can't ever complain. I'm excited to get the day over with." We continue our small talk as we walk through the paddock, before eventually parting ways. Duty calls.

One of the games that Redbull has us play is a reaction time game. The objective being to tap the buttons as they light up, but before they turn off again. There is no hint as to which ones on the Large board will light up at which moment, hence the need for a quick reaction time. "Okay boys, we're going to spice it up a bit for this one." Lizzie, one of our many content creators, gives us a smirk following her sentence. "We're obviously going to have you each on your own team, but we're going to allow each of you to have 1 teammate." I mentally prepare myself for who she is about to assign to us. "The catch is, you each have 3 minutes to go out and find your own teammate. If you can't find one within the 3 minutes, then you'll be forced to compete solo." I gotta give it to them, this is a nice change of pace. It's almost exciting. Though, I find any competition exciting. Lizzie assigns each a cameraman to record us as we shuffle through the paddock looking for a victim to force into our media day charades.