3.

﹏ ✦   ❛  MOONSTRUCK

﹏ ✦   ❛  MOONSTRUCK

"Has anyone here ever fallen in love?" Teacher Hong asks the class. The students, all young and with their fair share of boyfriends or girlfriends, are likely to say "yes," mistaking love for simple attraction. They grin at the thought of the upcoming assignment—an essay about love—especially since the annual love celebration is approaching. Everyone participates in those festivities, except Ahra, who never attends.

Noticing Ahra's unenthusiastic expression, the teacher singles her out. "Moon Ahra, have you ever fallen in love?"

With her long black hair and doe-like eyes, Ahra remains composed. She shows no sign of stress or discomfort. Taking a slow breath, she calmly responds, "No."

The room falls silent, all eyes on her.

"Do you believe in love?" the teacher asks, pushing further.

"No."

Sensing the teacher's need for an explanation, Ahra elaborates. "Love feels great for a while, but then it leaves you heartbroken, sometimes to the point where you're depressed. Did you know heartbreak can kill? Or that many suicides happen because someone was left by the person they loved? I think love can bring the greatest happiness, but also the deepest sorrow. So no, I don't believe in love—because someone always ends up hurt."

The classroom remains quiet. The other students exchange uneasy glances, their smiles fading. Teacher Hong, taken aback by Ahra's hard words, pauses for a moment to gather her thoughts.

"If I may," comes a voice that makes Ahra instinctively roll her eyes. It's Jake, as annoying as ever. "Love can also bring people joy and growth. It's not always about heartache. I mean, are you planning to stay alone forever? Don't you want a family, your own kids?"

Ahra meets his gaze, her expression unbothered. "What do you know about love?" she shoots back. "You're the type to have a new girl in your bed every two days. I don't think you're in any position to give me advice on the subject."

The classroom snickers softly, but Ahra's sharp words leave Jake momentarily speechless.

"Hey, that's just me figuring things out," he says, forcing a grin. "You can't judge love based on what you've seen. Not everyone will hurt you."

Ahra narrows her eyes slightly, her voice calm but firm. "Figuring things out or not, it doesn't change the fact that you're treating love like a game. Maybe it's fun for you, but not everyone wants to play."

Jake opens his mouth to respond, but nothing comes out. The silence between them grows heavier, and the rest of the class watches, intrigued.