1

Chapter 1

“Happy birthday, Eli.”

I looked at my beautiful sister.

It was five in the morning and I'm cooking our breakfast. Nagluluto din ako ng baon ko sa pagpasok ko sa school mamayang hapon.

“Thank you, Ate,” I said.

I honestly didn't remember that it was my birthday. There's nothing new about that. I always forget my birthday.

Since the day that my parents died. I stopped celebrating my birthday. 

I don't like celebrating it ever since. shit happens to me.

And here it is.

My sister reminded me that it's my birthday today.

She's always doing it, though; I told her a lot of times that it's okay for me if we won't celebrate my birthday.

Binitawan ko ang sandok ng makita na lumapit siya sa akin. Hininaan ko ang kalan para hindi masunog ang sinangag na niluluto ko.

I face her while she's slowly walking in my direction. She has a smile on her beautiful face. She held my hand and placed something on my palm.

I looked at it and saw it was a simple silver necklace with a pendant of angel.

“Wala akong regalo sayo nung nag eighteen ka last year. Kaya pinag-ipunan ko talaga yan.” She said with a smile.

My eyes widened a bit from what I heard. My mind immediately thought of something that she did to buy me a gift.

“Ate, diba sabi ko sayo wag ka na tumanggap ng tutor.” I said.

About the first thing that I thought when she told me about her gift.

Tutoring is one of my sister's part-time work at our house. I am sure that that's the reason why she had money to buy me a gift.

Before I was open about it. Not until she was hospitalized last two months. That's why I stopped her to tutor some kids.

I appreciate her gift so much. No words can explain how happy I am.

But to think na tumatanggap pala siya ng tutor ng hindi ko alam.

It makes me worried about her condition.

She's still holding my hands. Her smile didn't take off from her face.

“Kaya ko ang sarili ko, Eli. I'm strong. At iyon na lang ang pwede kong itulong sayo.” She said softly.

I sighed at her answers.

I know what she's feeling. She doesn't want to be a burden for me. She's been doing this a lot of times. And I've been telling her to stop. Because I can't help to worry about her condition.

I held her hand away from my palm. I looked at the necklace that she gave to me.

I can't help but smile a bit.

“I’ve been telling you to not worry about me. But thank you so much, Ate.” I said and gave her my genuine smile.

I can't help to feel emotional and reminisce about the things we've experienced. I forced my emotions and just smiled at her.

I don't want her to worry for me.

She also gave me her smile and hugged me. I hugged her back and inhaled a breath.

“You know I love you very much, Eli. Kaya wag mo na ako pigilan sa ginagawa ko.” She whispered.

Lumayo ako ng bahagya sa kanya.