Prologo

"Freya? Be happy...leave and be happy," Zia whispered as I struggled to stand on my right foot. She was tied up, her voice barely audible over the pain and exhaustion that had consumed me for days. Tears streamed down my face; I couldn't bear the thought of losing her. I wouldn't lose her.

"Take her!" I heard a voice shout from the door, causing my heart to race even faster. I won't leave her! I won't!

"None of this is your fault, remember that. I love both of you and Marco. Please, live a happy life for me. Your mother would want that for you."

"NO! I WON'T LEAVE YOU!" I cried out, my voice trembling with anxiety as the sound of the guards shuffling at the door grew louder.

Zia handed me a crumpled piece of paper inside a plastic wrap. "Take this with you... Let it remind you that none of this was your fault!" Her voice grew more desperate as she bled heavily, her strength fading. She smiled weakly, her final energy devoted to comforting me. I gripped her hand as tightly as I could.

"Tell Marco that I will always love him. Tell Marcus I'm sorry, and that I loved him from the very start," she whispered, her voice growing fainter. I nodded, tears blurring my vision. I won't give up! I worked frantically to untie her bonds, my sobs mixing with the determination in my heart. I AM NOT GIVING UP! WE ARE GETTING OUT OF HERE!

When I finally managed to free her, I looked at her with hopeful eyes, but it was too late.

"NO!" I screamed in anguish as her life slipped away.

I collapsed, hugging Zia Helen's lifeless body, trying to grasp the depth of my despair. I wished the guards would come and end my suffering. Why did they prolong this agony? I clutched the crumpled paper tightly, pressing it against Zia's cold, still chest. I couldn't bring myself to look into her vacant eyes.

She was all I had. She was all I had.

As my consciousness waned, I heard the guards finally enter. They could kill me now; I no longer cared. I closed my eyes, resigned to whatever fate awaited me.

"Mérda!" one of them exclaimed.

"Signore specifically instructed to keep them both alive!"

This was it. This was really it.

As I lay there, hugging Zia Helen's lifeless form, a flicker of defiant resolve began to ignite within me. The darkness of the room seemed to press down on me, but within that darkness, I found a glimmer of light—an ember of hope that refused to be extinguished.

I can't stay here. I won't let Zia's death be in vain. I owe it to her, to Marco, to everyone who cares about me. I need to escape, to find a way out of this nightmare.

I have to do this. I have to survive. For Zia, for myself. They're waiting for me to give up, to surrender to despair. But that's not who I am. I won't let them break me. I can't.

Panic and determination clashed within me, but I pushed through, forcing my trembling legs to move. My heart pounded in my chest as I crept towards the door, every step a battle against the agony of my injured foot. I had to be swift, precise—no room for mistakes.

Disclaimer:

This story is a work of fiction and does not depict real events, individuals, or places. It contains themes and content that may be triggering or distressing to some readers, including references to sexual assault, trauma, and the emotional aftermath experienced by the characters. There are scenes depicting physical violence, abuse, and aggression, as well as explorations of mental health issues, including anxiety and self-hatred resulting from past traumatic events. The story also features strong language, mature themes, and depictions of complex relationships. Reader discretion is advised. Please take care of yourself and approach this story with caution if these subjects may be difficult for you.