1

Freya

I stared at the cars passing by as another huge wave of loneliness crept in. I made sure that my door was locked a while ago so I could spend the next minutes to my self. The scent of coffee lingering my office were far more comforting than a jacket on a cold winter. This reminded me that I was indeed away from them.

I looked at my hands one last time as I stared at the scar that was sitting there. It reminded me of everything to which I just shrugged.

It was already 6 o'clock, and as if on cue, I heard Hannah knocking by the door. I fixed myself before getting up and opened it. Hannah was smiling at me sweetly.

"Here are the accounts for January till March Maam" she hands out the papers as I received it and smiled.

"Thank you Hannah Any plans for the weekend?" I asked her as I put all the papers in my desk not facing my back at her. It's a habit I grew over the years.

"Well it's just me and Connor tonight Ma'am he cooks mean pasta" she smiles sweetly almost angelically to which My eyes widen in approval.

"Leave some for me" I joked as she bids her goodbye while giggling and left. Well she sounds like she's in high school again good for her. I smirked as I immediately closed the door and locked it.

My phone rang, breaking the silence. The name on the screen made my heart skip a beat: Mrs. Fuyima.

"Freya?" Her voice was as gentle as I remembered. "I hope I'm not interrupting."

"No, Mrs. Fuyima. It's good to hear from you," I said, trying to steady my voice.

"I've been meaning to call. How have you been?" she asked.

I took a deep breath. "I've been managing. It's been a while since I left the cafe."

"Yes, I know. I've been keeping up with your progress. You were a godsend to me during those months," she said, her voice tinged with sadness.

"I'm just glad I could help. I'm sorry I didn't stay in touch more," I replied.

"There's no need for apologies, dear. I'm grateful for everything you did. The doctors told me my time was short, and I was so relieved to have someone I could trust running things. You worked for me for a year, didn't you? After everything that happened?"

"Yes," I said quietly. "You were my only option then. I'm sorry about what happened."

"There's nothing to be sorry for, Freya. I had no family of my own, and you were a bright light in those dark days. I left everything to you, as you know," she said softly. "I hope it has helped you in some way."

Her words, so kind and full of gratitude, made my heart ache. "Thank you, Mrs. Fuyima. Your support meant more to me than I can say."

"Take care of yourself, Freya. If you ever need anything, I'm always here," she said, and with that, we exchanged farewells.

After escaping Milan, I found the comfort of Mrs. Fuyima here in Mayfair. She owns this cafe for years until he lost his husband. I met her in Milan, fate took us together she asked me to work for her—I've been a server, she knew at that time that I was sleeping in bus stops in milan —she took me in. Even in this messed up world there still are those with undeniably pure hearts. For 2 years she trained me and when the time came she let me manage the cafe—this wasn't a big cafe but it gets good costumers.

She got diagnosed with Lung Cancer a year ago, with no children and partner. I was the only person left. Its a surprise not one of her relative even visited her. I hung up, feeling a mix of sadness and comfort. Mrs. Fuyima's kindness had been a beacon during a dark time, and her memory was a reminder of both loss and gratitude. I took a deep breath, knowing I had to keep moving forward, no matter how haunted I felt by the past.