Chapter 8: Paying her a visit

Engfa had a challenging night, and the last thing she needed was a knock on her door at 7 AM, shattering the precious sleep she desperately craved. As she walked, she instinctively clutched her ribs, the reminder of the bruising encounter with the criminal she had been pursuing, who had drop-kicked her with surprising force. The pain was searing, but after a decade of this relentless work, she had grown resilient to such blows.

When she opened the door, she was taken aback by the familiar figure standing on her doorstep. The expletives that had been bubbling within her evaporated at the sight of an old friend.

“Marima?” she stammered, disbelief etched across her face.

"Still the same me from ten years ago, Eng," Marima replied with a poised smile. "It looks like you’ve just emerged from a brawl. Rough night as a bounty hunter?”

Engfa studied her old friend for a moment before regaining her composure and allowing Marima to step inside. "Yeah," she admitted, her voice faltering.

Marima, now a lawyer, might just be there to discuss Charlotte's intentions. The realization hit Engfa. After a decade of running away, Charlotte was finally ready to sever their ties with her legally. They settled into Engfa’s cramped, untidy living room, and Engfa offered, “Can I get you something? I have water... and beer.”

“Figured,” Marima replied with a sly smirk, her clipped professionalism amplifying Engfa’s anxiety. “No, I’m good, thanks.”

“Are you here to serve me court notices? Can we skip that? I won’t contest anything Charlotte says. I’ve signed the documents. She can keep the house in Phuket. I don't want anything from her,” Engfa rushed out, her anxiety growing with every passing second.

But Marima’s expression remained flat. “You’re forgetting you two have a daughter, Engfa. Charlotte already informed you about Snack, didn’t she?”

“I won’t fight for custody. Charlotte will resent me even more if I do. I’ll provide financial support for Snack if that’s what she wants,” Engfa replied, uncertainty creeping into her voice.

“You think that’s the reason why I’m here?” Marima raised her eyebrow, amusement mingled with disbelief. "I don't have a suitcase with me Eng. I'm not here as a lawyer,"

Engfa's brows knitted in confusion as the two locked eyes, both searching for understanding.

“Have you ever considered why, after all these years that you refused to file an answer to Charlotte’s petition, and yet your marriage is still valid?"

Engfa’s confusion deepened. “What do you mean?"

“Engfa, if Charlotte truly wanted a divorce, she could have pursued it without your signature. But she didn't," Marima explained, as if clarifying a difficult math problem for a distracted student. “Do you see what I’m getting at?”

“Are you saying that...?”

“Figure it out, Eng. I’ve done my part by enlightening you. Now it’s your turn to act as Charlotte’s wife and set things right.” Marima rose and turned towards the door.

Just before leaving, she glanced back at Engfa, flashing a nostalgic smile reminiscent of their shared past. “And for the record, Eng, I’ve always believed you would never cheat on my best friend. I know you can't and won't do that to her,"

----

Engfa stepped out of her car, her gaze immediately falling on Charlotte, who was making her way to her own vehicle parked near the school gate. Beside Charlotte stood Snack, looking decidedly displeased as she had just swatted away Charlotte’s attempt to hold her hand.