𝐏𝐎𝐀 II

The Great Hall of Hogwarts was as grand and enchanting as ever, with its high ceilings and floating candles casting a warm glow over the long tables lined with students

The Great Hall of Hogwarts was as grand and enchanting as ever, with its high ceilings and floating candles casting a warm glow over the long tables lined with students. The enchanted ceiling mirrored the night sky, stars twinkling in a velvety darkness. Lilith sat at the Gryffindor table, surrounded by her closest friends. Harry, Ron, and Hermione were by her side, all waiting anxiously for the new school year to begin.

Professor Dumbledore rose to his feet at the staff table, and a hush fell over the hall. His blue eyes twinkled behind his half-moon glasses as he smiled kindly at the gathered students. "Welcome, everyone, to another year at Hogwarts," he began, his voice carrying easily through the room.

Lilith listened, but her thoughts drifted. She'd been dreading this moment since she arrived. She knew Dumbledore would bring up the news that had been weighing on her mind all summer. Sure enough, after a few words of greeting, his tone grew more serious.

"As you may have heard," Dumbledore said, "the Ministry of Magic has informed us that Sirius Black has escaped from Azkaban."

A murmur ran through the crowd. Lilith felt her chest tighten at the mention of her second cousin. Sirius Black—the man responsible for betraying Harry's parents, the man who had killed thirteen people with a single curse. Her blood chilled at the thought of it, and goosebumps crept up her arms.

Dumbledore's voice broke through her thoughts. "Dementors will be stationed around the grounds of Hogwarts for your protection. I must urge you all to be cautious and not stray too far from the castle."

Lilith's hand instinctively clenched into a fist beneath the table, but before she could dwell on it, she felt a warm hand slide over hers. She glanced to her side and met Harry's eyes. His face was calm, but his green eyes shone with understanding. He squeezed her hand gently, and Lilith gave him a small, warm smile in return. She appreciated the silent comfort he offered, even when the rest of the hall seemed caught up in the fear of what Dumbledore had just said.

She took a deep breath and forced herself to focus on the rest of the headmaster's speech.

"And now, for some happier news," Dumbledore continued, his usual light tone returning. "I am pleased to announce that our very own Rubeus Hagrid will be taking on the role of Care of Magical Creatures professor."

A cheer erupted from the Gryffindor table, and Lilith couldn't help but grin. Hagrid beamed from his seat, his face flushed with pride as he gave an awkward wave.

"And for Defense Against the Dark Arts," Dumbledore went on, "we are happy to welcome Professor Remus Lupin."

Polite applause followed, but the Gryffindor students exchanged curious glances. Lupin, seated beside Hagrid, nodded politely. He looked a bit shabby, Lilith thought, but there was something kind in his face.