prologue | instinct

*~SHOUT OUT TO winchester-soldier FOR THE BEAUTIFUL COVER!~*

The exuberant sun beamed down on me from its perch in the sky. I sighed, trudging down the vast interstate. This time of year, Georgia is so hot, you could fry an egg on the sidewalk. Beads of sweat rolled down my face and got caught by my tight spaghetti strap shirt. A growl escaped my lips as I ascended a steep hill, staying alert for roamers. I could finally see the end of the vast sea of abandoned cars. A few nice cars lay at the very end of the expanse of cars, their doors wide open.

My grimy hands clung tightly to the traditional recurve bow that goes on my shoulder, along with the fox skin quiver that shared the space on my back with my backpack. Inside the backpack were a box of granola bars, a packaged section of crackers, four bottles of water, a map of the U.S. that I took from a Walgreens, my cell phone and cell phone charger.

The familiar snarl of a stiff approached behind me. I rolled my eyes and plucked an arrow from the quiver, carelessly turning around while pulling back the bowstring and let go of the bowstring. The arrow flew into the stiff's head. The snarling ceased as the deceased dropped to the ground. I forcefully tugged the arrow out, grunting softly as brain and skull fragments erupted with the arrowhead. The rotten stench of the walking corpses wafted from down the highway. I glanced up and witnessed the horror of a herd lumbering towards me from where I started my trek.

My first instinct was to scream in fear, but I ignored the initial response to save me from a world of hurt. Instead, I secured my bow on my shoulder and began to furiously sprint the other way. I forced my legs to push on for at least a half a mile before I could feel the burning sensation in my thighs, abdomen, and calves. A grunt escaped my lips as I pushed on more, craving to escape the disgusting stench. I pushed harder and I finally reached an exit into a small town.

There was a rather large sign with full, beautiful calligraphy on it reading 'Alexandria, The Start of Sustainability.' I kept running despite the herd passing me. A few lone corpses followed me, but I thought nothing of it. There was a crooked billboard on the side of the road advertising a community with water wells and solar power. The place was only a few miles away. I quietly gasped and smiled, my stomach doing flips. Hopefully this place isn't overrun.

"Please, God, for once... For once don't let life take a shit on me." I slightly shook my head and let out a grunt as I labored on for 6.3 more miles.

*UPDATED 11/25/15*