Headcanon #1: Is Scarecrow really the King of Oz?

I know what all of you are probably thinking: "Gale, this question has such an obvious answer. He 100% is the king in Legends of Oz!" A few months ago, I would have agreed with you. However, while watching the movie, some signs indicate that he might not be. Namely, no one in the movie addresses the Scarecrow as "the king" or "His Majesty" or anything like that. Everyone addresses him as "The Scarecrow" or simply calls him Scarecrow.

Now, by saying this, I don't mean he isn't the ruler or in charge of the Emerald City because he is. However, I think in Legends of Oz, specifically, it is still unknown whether or not the Wizard is going to come back. He still exists in Oz's memory. I think that the Scarecrow is "watching over" Oz until the Wizard gets back.

Some people who have seen the old Candy County storyboards by Peter Paul cite the fact that the Scarecrow doesn't think to pardon Dorothy and Wiser, even though he's supposedly the king of Oz. If he isn't and is just in charge, that would explain it. There is another explanation for this that I believe makes more sense. Most of the countries, counties, and towns in Oz have their own leaders. Candy County has General Candy Apple, China Country has China Princess, and Munchkinland has the Mayor. So, theoretically, even if Scarecrow was the king of Oz, I don't think he would have the power to pardon someone of a crime that didn't happen within his jurisdiction (which would be the Emerald City).

Again, while I don't think Scarecrow is officially "the king" in Legends of Oz, that doesn't mean that he never does. It's my own personal headcanon that eventually the Wizard found a way to send a letter or some form of contact from wherever he is to Oz, basically saying that he wasn't coming back but that he wished everyone well. This makes the Scarecrow the official king of the Emerald City, rather than just in charge (unless Ozma was to show up, of course). This will be covered more in Gale (specifically Chapter 2), but that's my two cents.

I want to know what everyone else thinks, and if my argument makes any sense. Anyway, this book is just going to be a collection of little headcanons that I think about, so they'll be relatively informal.

If anyone is interested in seeing the storyboards I mentioned, I'll leave the link to them here.

https://adventuresofp2.weebly.com/legends-of-oz-dorothys-return-dorothys-trial.html

I hope everyone has a great rest of their day/night and that you have found this headcanon interesting. If you have any questions or suggestions for future headcanons, feel free to comment!