CHAPTER ONE

SYHA

Why do I always keep making bad decisions?

I landed just last night after years abroad, unsure of how it would feel to be back. I had planned to take things slow, maybe stay in the city for a few days to let the reality of being home settle in.

So, I booked a hotel and told myself I'd give it time.

But this morning, hardly having slept and still struggling with jet lag, I made the impulsive choice to catch a bus to come back to this town. I couldn't stop myself. I knew I'd have to come here eventually, but why so soon?

I should've waited, given myself at least a week to think things through. Instead, here I am, already on my way to the last place I should be visiting right now.

It's always been like this. I never really thought much before making important decisions in my life. Now, looking back, I wonder if I had truly taken the time to consider things, would I have ever left this place at all? Maybe not. But then again, some things happen for reasons we don't always understand.

It's around 8 in the evening. The air is cool, with a hint of pine and a faint smell of old books lingering from somewhere nearby. The streetlights have just begun to flicker on, casting a soft, uneven glow on the sidewalks. I arrived in town only a few minutes ago, feeling the weight of the day settle on me. After checking into a hotel-a temporary refuge-I quickly dropped off my luggage and rushed out onto the street. There was a restless energy in me, a mix of nervous anticipation and reluctance.

As I walked, a growing sense of discomfort began to take hold. The shadows deepened as the evening darkened, making it hard to discern how much the town has changed over the past four years. Familiar landmarks were obscured by the gathering night, and the quiet of the streets seemed to amplify my feelings of disorientation.

Although, I suppose I'm a little eager to see this place in its new configuration, I'm secretly hoping that nothing has changed at all. The path grows darker and more secluded as I walk past the town hall. There aren't many stores open at the town hall, as I notice. Even the central of the town seemed to fall asleep so early.

Well, it's a small town after all.

Now that I've crossed the main part of the town, I try to take a shortcut whose exact route I've forgotten over the years. It used to take about five minutes to reach the lake from here, but everything feels different in the dark. The town's lights are fading behind me, leaving only the growing night and the occasional rustle of leaves. The isolation of the shortcut makes me feel uneasy. I won't pretend I'm not terrified being here alone. This place seems creepy.

But my impulsive nature couldn't wait until morning, so here I am.

I kept walking though the path unsure of where I might end up. And finally, relief washes over me when I see it-the lake-realizing that the shortcut did, in fact, lead me here as I had hoped. The lake is calm, almost too calm, like a sheet of glass reflecting nothing but darkness. The closer I get, the heavier my steps feel, as if my legs are betraying me, growing numb with each inch forward. I stop, taking a deep breath, trying to steady myself.

When I finally reach the water's edge, something catches my eye-a shadow. I blink, my heart stuttering as my gaze locks onto the figure sitting by the lake. Why would anyone be here at this hour? My skin prickles with unease. I can't make out their features in the dim light, but something about their stance feels familiar.

I think my nervous adrenaline fought against every kind of fear because I closed the distance and stood behind that person. He might've noticed my presence because he shifts slightly from his position to look behind him.

As soon as I caught a glimpse of his face, a rush of shivers ran across the length of my spine.

Iyan?