Operation Vajra (1)

United Nations General Assembly Hall

On May 24th, an emergency meeting was convened at the United Nations General Assembly. Representatives from member states gathered to address two of the most urgent global crises: the second BETA invasion of Japan and the Earth Federation's controversial actions in Africa and the Middle East.

At the Japanese delegation’s table, Shogun Yuuhi Koubuin sat quietly, her gaze sweeping the assembly hall. It was her first time leaving Japan, and she found herself surrounded by the world's most influential leaders and diplomats. Yet, despite the importance of the gathering, the atmosphere was heavy.

The meeting had yet to officially begin, with one critical figure notably absent. Vargas, the Earth Federation's representative, had not yet arrived. Conversations rippled through the hall, though they remained hushes. The Federation’s growing influence, its rapid military mobilization, and its secretive nature left many nations wary and suspicious. While the Americans and COSEAN had recently established ties with the Federation, other countries were either hesitant or openly antagonistic.

Of particular concern were the recent developments in the Middle East and Africa. The Federation's support for Egypt, Saudi Arabia, and Israel had raised alarms within UN command, especially after the sudden mobilization of Israeli and Saudi forces. Reports indicated that these forces had abandoned their UN-assigned defensive positions along the Sinai Peninsula and Suez Canal, establishing independent camps. The rumors of insubordination spread, and tensions mounted as more nations, including remnants of Yemen, Oman, Persia, and Syria, appeared poised to follow suit.

The stakes were high. There were rumors of a potential mass return of at least 15 million Middle Eastern refugees to their ravaged homelands. If the Federation’s actions were indeed catalyzing a significant geopolitical shift, the entire status quo in the region—and perhaps the world—was about to change. All eyes remained on Vargas's seat, whose arrival would determine the course of the discussions.

Silence fell over the assembly as the long-awaited figure finally arrived—Vargas, the Earth Federation's representative, flanked by two individuals.

One was a seemingly fragile woman, her presence almost ghostlike in comparison to the towering man beside her, a muscular, bald figure who stood an imposing 6'5", drawing curious and uneasy glances from the gathered diplomats. His sheer size and demeanor exuded discipline, making Yuuhi conclude, he must be a soldier.

Soon her gaze fixed on Vargas as he took his seat at the Federation's delegation table. His two companions stood silently behind him, watchful and motionless. Vargas wore a confident smile as he exchanged pleasantries with the Indian and Hungarian delegations next to his seat, seemingly unfazed by the pressure in the room. But Yuuhi's focus and objectives remained unchanged — was to talk to the man her country needed, despite the uneasy history between Japan and the Federation.

Her heart clenched with reluctance. Just months ago, Japan had driven the Federation away, asserting its independence and national pride. Now, as the BETA assault threatened to overrun her homeland once more, they found themselves in a dire situation. The defense lines around Kyoto held, but for how long? The war raged on, and every day the threat of another devastating breach loomed over her people like an ominous clouds. Vargas had become the figure Japan might have no choice but to turn to, a bitter irony in the face of their desperate circumstances.

Yuuhi's thoughts churned as she watched him.

The United Nations General Assembly hall was filled as representatives from around the globe took their seats. Flags from every member state lined the walls, while the emblem of the UN, a symbol of global unity and resistance against the BETA, loomed large behind the podium. A low murmur of whispers echoed throughout the chamber as the session was about to begin.