12. "Even the moon has a dark side."

☆:*'¨'*:..:*'¨'*:.☆

The seconds ticked by on the clock.

It was like watching a bomb count down, waiting for it to explode. 

My senses heightened from the spiked fear that flowed through my veins as I paced across a small room in the emergency bunkers underground, right underneath our packhouse.

It was the wrong place to have come. I should have known, but where else was there to hide in such a limited amount of time? 

My breathing shook as I wiped my clammy hands against the sides of my dress. I still had make-on my face, and my hair was up and curled. In the hour I had wasted on futile pacing from one corner of the bunker to the next, I had considered escaping and turning rogue. I half-considered asking Journey to help me escape. 

But what would be the point? 

In the end, my hope seemed superficial. 

Gabriel, known for his deadly tracking skills, would find me no sooner than a heartbeat. 

There was nowhere to run.

Nowhere to hide from him. 

Facing that monster was inevitable. 

"Aaaargh!" I screamed out, unleashing every emotion I held into the empty gray room. 

I shook the thoughts from my mind, forcing myself to focus on anything else. My eyes blurred as they tried to adjust to the bulletproof metal walls that were not only fire resistant but also soundproof. 

No one could hear me scream. 

No one could hear me die if he found me. 

I felt weak against these walls, powerless. It was driving me insane, making me feel human. 

My wolf, on the other hand, that beast inside me, was on edge. Restlessly waiting for his return, the monster within me didn't care about the consequences but only its primal needs to claim and devour. 

A light knock on the door shook me out of my thoughts. I pushed off the wall and urged my feet to move towards the sound, my breathing quick but light. My eyes narrowed when another knock sounded, much harder than the first. 

After my eyes adjusted under the dim light in the bunker, I took a few more steps forward. My hands shook as they reached towards the small black latch on the door but froze when my sensitive ears finally strained enough to hear Journey's disgruntled cry. 

"Harper, open up!" 

My breathing paused for a moment, and I stilled in time. Gulping down the fear that rose in my throat, I forced myself to focus, and with trembling hands, I grabbed ahold of the latch. I took a shaky breath as Journey knocked again, something in her voice didn't sound right which was what put me on edge the most.