Chapter 1: Off Day

*3 Years Later*

"Girl, wake up." My best friend Yelly whispered while slightly shaking me.

"Good Morning, Yellz" I said to her. "Hey girl, how are you doing this morning?" She asked me. "I'm straight. " I replied.

I got out of bed and walked to the bathroom. " So, I cooked you breakfast." Yelly started. " And since it's Sunday, and It's my turn to take Sean, I wanted to know if you'd go with me to Dre's house to pick up Sean." She asked.

Sean is her son and Dre is the baby's father. Dre and Yelly are past lovers whose love went sour. Yelly and Dre got pregnant at the age of 15, but Dre left because he said that he was too young to be a father. So since then, Yellz has been taking care of Sean.

But recently, Dre says that he wants a place in his son's life. Personally, I think he wants to get back with Yelly. Dre is using Sean as an excuse to get her attention.

"Yeah, sure. Let me just get ready and then we can go." I told her.

I closed the door and stared at myself in the mirror, examining my every feature: my light skin, my curly red-hair, and my dark brown eyes. I look like my grandmother.

My mother rarely ever took me to see my grandmother, she always tried to convince me that grandma was mean and evil; however, to me, my mother was mean and evil.

I miss my grandmother. She always protected me from the evil that my mother plotted. I wish she was still here, but I know that she watches me from above.

"I miss you grandmother." i mumbled.

I brushed my teeth and took a shower. After getting out of the shower, I put on my clothes. I decided on wearing black jeans, a red, white, and blue flannel, a white shirt that says "On Fleek" and a pair of converse. I left my hair in it's natural curly state.

I walked to the kitchen where I found Yelly. Yelly is about 5"6 1/2 and thin. She has dark brown eyes, and long dark brown hair.

"There's your breakfast" she pointed to the table. "Thanks again, Yellz" I appreciate when Yelly does small things like this, it lets me know at least one person cares for me.

"So what are your plans for the day other than to pick up Sean?" I ask while chomping down on my bacon. "I don't know, I want to take Sean out. I don't know where though."

There was a new amusement park that just opened up down the street from our townhouse complex. "That amusement park is opening up,down the street. We could take him there." I offered.

"Ooooh yeah! you're right!" She gasped with excitement. I loved how excited Yellz got about providing for her son and taking him places.

"Alright, let's go get my baby" She smiled.

At Dre's House

"Come on Danyella. I'm not the same imbecile that I was at 15! I've grown up." Dre pleaded. "Ha ha, you know what else has grown?" Dre chuckled. "See that remark, right there. You have not grown up." Yellz said strapping Sean into his car seat. "It was a joke" Dre explained. "Yeah, just like you" Yellz said getting into the car and closing her car door.

"Could you believe I laid down with that fool in bed?" she said in an annoyed tone. The rest of the car ride was silent, except for the radio and the little voice in the back singing.

"Mommy, I'm hungry" Sean told Yelly, interrupting her day dream. "What do you want to eat, baby?" Yelly asked him. "Uhhh chicken wings" he squealed.

"Alright honey" Yelly ended the conversation. I could tell something was bothering her, I'm just not sure what it is. I put my hand in her hand, letting her know I am here for her.

"Thank you" she whispered with tears streaming from her eyes.

I hate to see her cry. Danyella is such a strong, caring, and understanding woman. She just lacked confidence and she overthinks a lot.

In a way, she reminds me of myself: broken and hurt.

---------------------------------------------
We took Sean to Johnny Rockets and got him some wings and French fries. We also took him to the new amusement park, and he had a blast! He went on every ride that he could and loved it.

We were now home and getting ready for bed. "Alright Sean, dry off" Yelly told him.

They walked to his room and put lotion and clothes on. "Mommy, I had a good time today with you and Aunty Ace." He smiled. "You did?" She asked. "Mhmm. Mommy can I give Aunty a hug, please?" He asked. "Yes baby" she smiled.

I could hear his little feet smacking against the hard wood floor. "Aunty, I'm going night-night." He whispered.
"You are? Well goodnight honey bun" I gave him a kiss on the forehead and a big hug. "Sleep well honey!" I yelled while he was running out of my room.

I laid in my bed and slowly fell asleep. Let's hope tomorrow is a good day at the job. Ace is not taking any shit tomorrow.