The end of summer

Alana's annual end of summer party has a relaxed but lively vibe to it, with groups of people scattered throughout the spacious, open rooms. The sound of chatter fills the air, punctuated by bursts of laughter, while the music plays at just the right volume.

The space itself is decorated with a modern and cosy taste, the sleek furniture softened by an abundance of cushions.

To one side the large windows overlooking the city skyline, let in the shimmer of distant lights, and the patio doors are open, allowing a cool evening breeze in.

Harry moves through the crowd, offering polite nods to familiar faces, but his attention is elsewhere. He's here with a purpose, and it doesn't take long for him to spot her.

Taylor is standing near the large bay window, framed by the city lights outside, looking effortlessly beautiful. Still he notices the weariness in her eyes, though she hides it well behind a pleasant smile.

She turns in his direction then and their eyes meet briefly, for the first time that evening. She seems surprised to see him, and can't help a soft half-smile, but she quickly resumes her conversation, maintaining her cool.

Harry doesn't dwell on it; he's here to support her, to be around in case she needs someone. She's been going through a lot lately, and even though she hasn't asked for it, he feels that his presence might help.

Taylor is keeping her emotions in check. So, when she quietly joins Alana by the drinks table, her tone is light, almost casual.

"Hey, did you invite Harry?" she asks, her voice carefully neutral.

Alana is surprised by the question, but she nods. "Yeah. Este said you would be fine with it. Is everything ok?"

Taylor forces a smile, seeing the worry on her friend's face, not wanting to create any awkwardness. "Yeah, it's no big deal. Just surprised, that's all" she replies, and then proceeds to change the subject, though inwardly, she wishes she had been given a heads-up.

Harry continues to glance in her direction throughout the evening, which has started to unnerve her.

Her boyfriend, Travis, isn't here tonight—he's away training, which she's quietly grateful for.

Their last time together, over the 4th of July celebrations at her Rhode Island home, had been more stressful than enjoyable. One of his friends' wives had been particularly difficult, making sly remarks and stirring up trouble on social media.

Her behaviour had led to a frustrating argument with him afterwards.

"It's just their opinions, baby. You can't control what they think," Travis had said, trying to downplay the situation.

"But it reflects on me!" she had replied, the frustration weighing on her.

"It doesn't. Just let it go. You're above all that," he insisted, though it didn't make her feel any better.

She knows how important it is to Travis that she fits in with his friends, and she tries her best, but it's exhausting.

She keeps telling herself they are fine, but it makes her feel guilty and somewhat angry that voicing out her concerns often appears to make the situation about her, rather than just being a part of the bigger picture.

She is still reeling from the aftermath of their weekend together. But at the party now, she's determined to keep things smooth and under control.

Looking for a respite, she heads to the kitchen under the excuse of getting some snacks. The space is much quieter, much cooler, and she welcomes the change.