A turning point

Taylor stands in front of the mirror, adjusting the strap of her dress. Blake, ever the calming presence, is beside her, smoothing out a non-existent wrinkle on her gown. The buzz of the awards venue echoes faintly through the walls.

Taylor glances at her friend, a small, grateful smile tugging at her lips. "Thank you for being my date tonight."

Blake looks up from her dress and meets Taylor's gaze in the mirror, her expression warm and reassuring. "You joking? I wouldn't miss this for the world. Plus, someone's got to keep you from overthinking every little thing. I am the over-thinker here."

Taylor chuckles softly, "I just want tonight to go smoothly. No drama, no surprises."

Blake tilts her head, studying her friend with a knowing look. "It's an awards show, Tay. Surprises come with the territory. But you're going to be amazing, and we're going to have fun. Remember what that is?"

Taylor rolls her eyes, the tension in her shoulders easing just a bit. "Vaguely."

Blake holds her hand as they walk in the venue. She lifts her head high, all smiles, as everyone turns and bends to try to steal a glimpse of her.

They are taken to their seats, and Taylor leans in to thank Blake once more before rising to her feet and walking towards the backstage to prepare for her award presentation.

She takes in the loud applause as she walks towards the stage microphone, avoiding scanning the room, focusing on Blake and two anonymous gentlemen on each side of the audience.

The person she most wants to avoid is, ironically, not far from where she's standing. Seating front row he is watching her, his gaze full on fascination, as he attentively listens to every word that escapes her lips.

Once she finishes reading the last word on the prompter, she makes her way out of the stage. Eager to get back to her seat, she quickly navigates the narrow corridors, and in her rush she inevitably collides with someone.

Her heart races as she looks up and realises it's Harry standing right in front of her. She staggers back and he instinctively reaches out to steady her, his hand grasping her bare arm. His touch sends a shiver through her, while her skin seems to burn his fingers.

"I'm so sorry," Taylor says, her voice trembling, and she chastises herself silently, for sounding so vulnerable. She fights to regain her composure, her heart pounding.

"It's my fault," Harry replies, his voice soft. "I didn't mean to startle you"

Harry's gaze lingers on her, and she can feel him already piercing through her facade, his eyes filled with hope and longing,

"How have you been?" "How's everything?" they both speak at the same time, both failing to suppress a smile, the familiar pull lingering in the air, between them.

"Congratulations on your performance tonight," she adds, breaking the intense moment, gesturing.

"Thanks," Harry responds quietly, and his mind is temporarily flooded by old memories and a clear image of her crying the last time they were this close, and how it all had ended between them. 

Then it dawns on him who he is performing with, but before he can address it, a group of guests burst into the narrow space, loudly laughing and chatting.

They both turn to look at the intruders, and she shifts, releasing his hold on her. He watches her intently, the urge to get close to her, to explain, to hold her, gripping him.

"I need to get back to my seat," she says, feeling uneasy under his studying look, and he nods as she quickly turns to leave, his eyes following her until he disappears from his view.