32. Nosey Visit

It was a lazy Sunday afternoon at The Audio Corner, my uncle's music store, which was a treasure trove of all things musical

It was a lazy Sunday afternoon at The Audio Corner, my uncle's music store, which was a treasure trove of all things musical. From CDs that echoed the classics to vinyl records that crackled with nostalgic warmth, and instruments that promised to create melodies of their own.

It had been almost a year since I started working here part-time. I'd always wanted to earn my own money, not depending on mom and dad all the time because I wouldn't be able to do that in the future. I also wanted to avoid just lounging around at home after school. The routine of working here had become a comforting escape.

Imagine I could just relax here, and I get paid for it (It wasn't a busy store). I'd say it was a pretty good bargain.

I was slouched behind the counter, pen in hand and notepad open before me, trying to channel my scattered thoughts into some semblance of productivity.

But no matter how hard I tried to focus, my mind kept replaying yesterday's events.

I had actually managed to strike up a conversation with Juli-a rare victory. But of course, Jaemin had to swoop in like some overly polished superhero and ruin it.

But at least I'd made a start, right?

As I tried to force my thoughts back to the notepad, the doorbell jangled with an all-too-familiar sound, signaling the arrival of a customer.

I glanced up to see Donghyuck sauntering in, his movements languid and his eyes barely open. He looked like he'd been engaged in a battle with a particularly brutal hangover from the night before.

I couldn't resist a smile. "Well, look who decided to grace us with his presence. Didn't have much luck with the ladies last night huh?"

Donghyuck groaned as he trudged towards the counter, his expression a mix of irritation and defeat. "Oh, shut up. It was worth a shot, alright?" He squinted at me, managing a wry smirk despite his obvious discomfort. "And what about you? Didn't get much out of Juli, did you?"

I leaned back in my chair, feeling a spark of triumph. "Actually, I did manage to have a conversation with her."

Donghyuck's eyebrows shot up in exaggerated surprise. "Oh really? And what did she say? Let me guess." He cleared his throat and adopted a high-pitched, melodramatic tone. "Mark Lee, stop watching me! It's so creepy!"

I frowned, crossing my arms and leaning more heavily into my chair. "You make me sound like a total creep. I was just helping her out. She was in a bit of a state-dropped a bottle, cut herself. And then, of course, Mr. Prince Charming had to come swooping in to 'rescue' her. As always."

Donghyuck's sympathy seemed genuine for a moment. "Pity. Typical of him to play the hero."

His gaze fell on the notepad I had on the counter, and his eyes narrowed with curiosity. "Ooh, what's this? Working on a new song-"