31. Forgotten Talk

The party was still in full swing at midnight, the energy undiminished as people danced and chatted with the kind of enthusiasm that suggested they were prepared to keep going until sunrise

And amidst the buzzing atmosphere, I was stationed at various strategic points around the room: A couch, a table, a counter-each spot providing a different vantage point to observe the ongoing festivities.

I'd resolved to stay sober the entire night.

Donghyuck on the other hand, took the opportunity to attempt to get girls with his very lame pickup lines. I was sure that he'll run out of it, sooner or later. From time to time when he had flunked, he'd come back to me, sulk about them, and send himself off again for another attempt on a different girl. It was insanely ridiculous and, well, quite entertaining.

Juli was my primary focus.

She was flitting about the room, engaged in lively conversations with Jaemin and whoever was nearby. No matter how many times I tried to catch her eye, she seemed completely absorbed in her interactions, not once casting a glance my way.

It was like trying to get a star's attention from Earth-no matter how hard you reach, you just end up feeling small and distant.

I would have left by now, or suggested to Donghyuck that we grab a bite at Subway or somewhere equally unremarkable and cheap, but my hope was pinned on the off chance of having a moment with Juli. It was my primary reason for staying.

It had been 5 hours since the commencement of the party, and it was slowly convincing me that nothing would happen tonight.

In the kitchen, I found myself in an unexpected predicament. I had taken up residence on the counter, scavenging snacks from Mia's well-stocked inventory.

A girl I had accidentally bumped into earlier in the dancing zone appeared beside me. I'd offered her an apology and a polite smile, which she seemed to interpret as an open invitation to linger. It was like watching one of those cartoon characters floating toward a pie on a windowsill, drawn irresistibly by some invisible force.

"Hey again." She said, with flirtatious eyes and a flirtatious smile.

"Hello." I replied, attempting to sound friendly while trying to focus on the snack I was half-heartedly munching. "Sorry about bumping into you earlier."

"No problem at all." She responded, her enthusiasm unwavering. "I'd say it might be, I don't know, destiny~ Aha. Anyways I'm Lea. I didn't get your name before."

"Mark." I said, not afraid to wince at the cheesiness of what she just had said. Destiny? Really? Though I still maintained a forced smile."Nice to meet you, Lea."

Lea launched into a monologue about her favorite movies, her summer plans, and her unexpected fondness for pineapple on pizza. I nodded along, offering the occasional "uh-huh" and "really?" as she continued, her words flowing with a kind of relentless cheerfulness.