Chapter 6.

They had split the names into two and took half each. She decided to start her search with Darius—the second-in-command—she brought up his ID.

Darius Wilson, 40. Brown and grey; 6'2 and 200 pounds. Parents: Jeff and Marlo Wilson, live in Austin, Texas. Siblings: one sister, Carly Wilson, a potter in Brooklyn.

She studied his ID picture and something was just about to click when her phone interrupted her thoughts. She fetched it out of her pocket to see a text from her lieutenant.

'Seen the report of your closed case. Good job, Detective. Also got that you have a hot one going, Aleksei Volkov? Report to my office tomorrow morning with Detective Lynch. Good night.'

She slipped her phone back to her pocket. It was a cue to buckle up and work harder so as to have something tangible to report tomorrow.

She moved on to the next person on her list, flagging the ones that ring even slightly with her. She was finishing up and had arranged the names in the order of suspicion, flagging five as priority.

She checked the time to see her hour and half was just about up with ten minutes to spare. She fixed her murder board with the ID of the victim, connecting the five ID she'd flagged and Aleksei Volkov's image.

She walked back to the living room to see Nikki on her phone. She already prepped for the movie, a gigantic bowl of popcorn beside the remaining wine.

"Just on time, was about to storm over." She said with a broad smile which made her roll her eyes. "I've set up the movie. I decided on Tomb raider simply because Angelina Jolie is the ult of ults."

"Haven't we seen that one?" Eva asked as she took a seat beside her.

"Nopee, that was Salt."

"I liked that one. She kicked major ass, let's see what this one's about." Nikki started the movie and sat back on the couch.

Halfway into the movie, She was completely into it. Illuminati and the triangle of whatsnot, She was loving it. She rarely watched movies that is, She rarely spare herself some time to. And it doesn't hurt Angelina is—to quote Nikki—the ult of ults.

They were both curled up on the couch, the nearly empty popcorn bowl between them. By the time the movie ran out, it was well into the night and so they went into the room to sleep.

She woke up very early in the morning from a crazy sort of dream about monster pizzas chasing her about led by Nikki chanting if you won't eat, I'll force feed you. Then her face changed into that of Lara Croft, who immediately turned around and started fighting Cole Firth. The pizzas began chanting 'Lara Croft! Lara Croft!' A loud ping cut through the chants and that was when she woke up.

She realized the ping was a notification from Nikki's phone who was sprawled out on the bed, her left leg thrown over Eva's. She checked the time and saw it was just half five.

She got off the bed and made straight for the kitchen to get coffee to jumpstart her brain. The first sips brought her fully through. She took the rest back to her room and started getting ready for the day.

After downing the remaining coffee, she took a shower and wrapped a towel around her body and her hair. She walked into her closet to pick the daywear.

She pulled on underwear then chose a dark grey pants with a grey shirt two shades lighter. She holstered her weapon and picked the rest of what she needed. She pulled on socks and laced her black shoes.

She saw that sun was starting to rise and walked back into her closet to picked her black thigh length coat. She walked towards the vanity and checked herself, finger combing her light brown hair back from her face. She's always thought her face was too angular with too sharp cheekbones but Nikki said that's all a face is all about—her words not hers.