Chapter 5: The Day After

Morning broke with a grim grayness that seemed to fit the mood perfectly. I woke up to the sound of rain tapping against my window, a constant reminder that the world outside was still in its mess. I had barely slept, my mind racing with thoughts about the previous night. 

I got up and made myself a coffee, sitting at the kitchen table with the newspaper spread out before me. I scanned the headlines, trying to ignore the unease settling in my stomach. But then I saw it—a report on a local news site about a body found in the warehouse district, and it hit me like a punch to the gut.

Unidentified Body Found in Warehouse District: Police Suspect Foul Play”

I cursed under my breath, my mind immediately jumping to the meeting I had scheduled for the night before. I had a bad feeling that the dead body might be linked to the mysterious informant. The situation was spiraling out of control, and it was clear that I was in deeper than I had anticipated.

---

Later That Morning

I met up with Marcus and Sarah at a small café that overlooked the city park. The café was a quiet place, a rare refuge from the chaos that seemed to be following me around. Marcus was already there, looking like he hadn’t slept a wink. Sarah arrived shortly after, her face pale and tired.

“Morning,” Marcus said, his voice strained. “I’m guessing you saw the news?”

I nodded, taking a sip of my coffee. “Yeah, I saw it. I’m willing to bet that’s the body of the guy who was supposed to meet me last night.”

Sarah’s eyes widened with fear. “Do you think they’re targeting us?”

“More likely,” I said, taking another sip. “Whoever’s behind this doesn’t want us poking around.”

Marcus’s hands were shaking slightly. “What should we do?”

I leaned back, studying the two of them. “First, we need to stay off the radar. No more unplanned meetings or wandering into dangerous areas.”

Sarah looked troubled. “But what about the information he was supposed to give you?”

I shrugged. “It’s bullsh*t now. We have to move on and adapt. The only thing we can do is be smarter about how we approach this.”

---

Later That Day

I was at home, trying to piece together what little information I had when my phone buzzed with a message from Sarah.

Need to talk. Urgent. Meet me at the park.

I didn’t like the tone of the message. It sounded too frantic, too urgent. I grabbed my coat and headed out, making my way to the park where Sarah had asked me to meet.

---

At the Park

Sarah was already there, pacing back and forth. Her anxiety was palpable, and as soon as she saw me, she rushed over.

“Jake, you won’t believe it,” she said, almost out of breath. “I got a call from an anonymous number this morning. They knew about our investigation and warned me to stay away from you.”

I narrowed my eyes. “Did they say why?”

She shook her head. “Just that if I continued to look into things, I’d be in danger. They were very clear that it’s not just about Daniel anymore. It’s bigger.”