Chapter 3: Shadows Beneath the Rain

The rain had returned, heavier this time, drumming against the windows like an unwelcome visitor. I sat by the window, staring blankly at the city below, my cigarette burning down to the filter. I could still hear Sarah’s voice in my mind, but the familiar emptiness gnawed at the edges of my thoughts. 

Despite our conversations, despite the fleeting connections, everything felt meaningless again. A quiet nothingness that couldn’t be filled by words or ideas.

I stood, walking to the fridge, brushing my fingers across the cold surface. Inside, there was an unopened bottle of whiskey. I considered it—anything to drown the creeping numbness. But just as I reached for it, there was a knock at the door.

I hesitated. It was late. Too late for anyone to be knocking.

I crossed the room and opened the door, expecting nothing. Instead, there stood a man I didn’t recognize, soaked from the rain. His face was pale, his eyes darting nervously down the hallway as if he were being followed.

"You’re Jake Williamson, right?" His voice was unsteady.

I stared at him, one hand resting on the doorframe. "Who’s asking?"

The man glanced over his shoulder before turning his gaze back to me. "My name's Marcus. I need your help. I don’t know who else to turn to."

His eyes were frantic, desperate. Something about him intrigued me, though I wasn’t sure why. I stepped aside, letting him in.

Once inside, Marcus wiped the rain from his face, his hands trembling. He looked like a man on the edge of something. Maybe that’s why I didn’t turn him away.

"I know this is going to sound crazy," he began, his voice barely above a whisper, "but I think someone’s after me. Someone connected to a murder."

The word hit me like a cold wind, slicing through the dull haze in my mind. Murder. The concept of it fascinated me, not for any twisted reasons, but because it was the ultimate expression of the chaos I believed in.

I motioned for him to continue, keeping my voice even. "Go on."

"A friend of mine," Marcus said, "he died recently. They’re saying it was sui**de, but I know it wasn’t. There’s something wrong, something they’re not seeing. And now I think I’m next."

I leaned against the wall, watching him closely. His fear was palpable, but it didn’t surprise me. The world was a twisted place, full of meaningless violence and empty promises. Why should this be any different?

"Why come to me?" I asked, my curiosity piqued.

"Because you’re not like them," Marcus replied. "You see things differently. Sarah told me about you. She said you understand the truth, that you don’t buy into the same bullshit as everyone else."

I frowned at the mention of Sarah, but I stayed quiet, letting him spill out his story.

"I can’t trust the cops," he continued, his voice shaking. "They’re writing it off as another mu***** or sui**de, but there’s something else going on. My friend wouldn’t have done that to himself. And now, weird things are happening. Messages left at my door, stuff in my apartment moved… I’m telling you, they’re coming for me."

I listened, a strange sense of familiarity creeping over me. His story didn’t sound that different from what I had always believed—that life was fragile, chaotic, and ultimately meaningless. The only real truth was that people hurt each other, in big and small ways, over and over again.

"What do you want me to do?" I asked, though I already knew the answer.

"Help me figure out the truth," Marcus said, his voice low. "Before it’s too late."