1. Prologue

The imperial ball happened every once a year.

It was everyone's wish to attend yet it was only reserved for the nobility, the people in power and those of uniqueness.

But Ian was able to attend this year. As a servant of course. Normally no one would just get hired in the imperial palace, one needed to have qualifications to ensure some kind of safety. Ian however had none of those, he needed quick money, he was able to get this one day job from a friend of his late father, the palace guard Itmus.

He was just a servant that day but it was all so ecstatic, being in all that grand and glamour.

Maybe he'd get a glimpse of the Imperial Family.

Well in fact he did.

He was thrown into the feet of said family, specifically the empress.

How in the world did things end up like this?

《《《《《《《《《《《《《《《》》》》》》》》》》》》》》

"Ian the rules of this palace are very strict, especially for us servants. You must understand no circumstances disobey. It's a miracle I was able to convince the headmistress to add you in the palace staff for today. Don't disappoint me," Itmus began his lengthy lecture as he walked side by side through the palace halls with Ian in tow. The boy however wasn't paying that much attention, looking at the interior of the grand palace. Everything was shiny. Oh so glamorous.

"Ian are you even listening?" Ian woke up from his daze and looked beside his older friend. Itmus did not have an amused look, even when Ian tried to smile. "I do feel like I'm going to be fired from my job today..." Itmus let out a sigh shaking his head before continuing on his way.

Not too long after, Ian was introduced to the other servants and was dressed up in the black and pink servants attire. He wondered if he would be a waiter or plane attendant with the pink scarf tied around his neck. Not everyone had the pink one, some had a white one with black designs. They must have been the servants cartering to those of higher status. Like the Empress. Oh how he wished to carter for the Empress. If he could do that he'd throw away all his dreams to follow her every word.

A sinister smile played on his lips but was quickly put into place when the higher servants announced we'd start serving.

<<<<<<<>>>>>>>

“Pour your gratitude to the 「Sun and Moon of the World」”

As soon as it was announced, every head bowed to honour both the 「Sun and the Moon」 of the world, the Empress and the Emperor. She held a graceful smile, he held a cold look. They were indeed the sun and the moon. Yet everyone adored these lights of the world.

As soon as they entered and made their greetings, the ball commenced in all it grandeur. It didn't take long however to see that something was amiss after speaking to so many nobles.

"Sister your necklace is gone...." the emperor, Tarquin Alnwick, the younger brother of the empress was to notice first his sister's bare neck? Didn't she come in here wearing a family heirloom? His brows furrowed in confusion. Where could it had gone?

"Oh yes I'm aware..." How could she say that with such little care. "Someone snatched not so long ago"

"What?" Tarquin raised his voice. "That is a family heirloom who would dare"

"Calm down Tarquin. I know who did....I'm simply observing something. How things would play out..." Tarquin realised that his sister was in one of those things again, and if she was there was nothing he could do. He'd just have to observe along. He followed his sister's gaze, it was fixed on a servant boy.

<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>

There were too many people Ian was serving, he can't say he could remember the face of the last person he'd served. He couldn't remember how such an expensive black white diamond necklace landed on his tray. He looked around, no one seemed to have been paying attention to him. He grasped the necklace in his hands. What was he to do? It was clear who the necklace belonged to. Yet how would he return it when the rules so blatantly forbid lower servants to get close to the higher royals.

However he had to do something.

He placed the tray down and began his was towards the Empress. Every step was overwhelming, fearful. What would happen if they think he stole the necklace? Ian shook those thoughts away. He shouldn't dwell on that. He'd cross the bridge once he was there. His heart thumped in his chest, his lips twitched. That was a bad sign. It was always a bad sign.

Bam!

Suddenly he fell to the ground holding his face. Blood trickled down his nose and busted lip. It was too fast he didn't know what happened. He opened his eyes to see numerous guards above him. He close his eyes as he received a kick to his gut. It hurt. What was going in? His hair was yanked and he was dragged and thrown in front of someone. His eye fluttered open, his head raised.

He caught the hazel eyes of the empress, Ethalind Alnwick.

He immediately bowed his head. What was with that rule, that aura, he felt himself overwhelmed. Why did the Empress looked at him like that? No one in the entire world, not even criminals would have wished to receive that look from the higher exalted. Why did he receive that look. He was no criminal.

"Your Majesty we save found your necklace," one of the guards announced. Ian's blood trickled to the ground. All he could think was that he was dirting her majesty's floors. The necklace was now on the floor beside him. Tarquin crouched to take it, shooting a killer glare towards the boy. Everyone's gaze was now on the scene. Whispers filled the air, looks of disdain, looks of disgust. Ian was sure his life would end today.

No one expected this however. The empress crouched down, the end of her dress being stained by Ian's blood. She cupped his cheeks and raised his head.

"Don't bow now, 「Star of the world」"